Should I see anything through the glass on Blazeking Princess Instert stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky8443

Burning Hunk
Apr 22, 2014
Glenside, PA
I loaded my stove full of 5-year seasoned maple last night onto a bed of red coals. I turned the t-stat down to the lowest level and I saw nothing, no glow from the combuster (even though it was well in the active zone), no flame, and barely see some red coals in the bottom, but they were very dull and hardly glowing at all. I was afraid it was going to 'go out' due to lack of air. Should I be? or was it fine.

I turned T-stat back to about the 3rd notch (of about 8 or so) where I could see the coals glowing more with a spritz of flame here and there.

Probably not the best one to answer since I've just started using the Princess stove but I do know that as long as the cat is in the active zone it does not have to be glowing to be working.

I to have to resist the natural urdge to turn the draft up every time I look through the glass at that black fire box but at a setting of about 1.5 mine sips wood, keeps the cat active and holds a stove top temp of around 425f.

Definatly amazing to me and going to take some getting used to.

Should add that on mine the t-stat is 1 to 3.

If its in the active zone its fine, sometimes it glows, sometimes it doesn't but if its active its working. By turning it up you just burn through the load faster, though if you needed the heat that's fine. Now you know why its called the most boring stove on earth, you load it and forget it for hours.

If its in the active zone its fine, sometimes it glows, sometimes it doesn't but if its active its working. By turning it up you just burn through the load faster, though if you needed the heat that's fine. Now you know why its called the most boring stove on earth, you load it and forget it for hours.

Good advice.

You were experiencing a low burn. Active cat, sufficient heat for your space, all is good. The wood will slowly get ash on it, then greyer, then shrink. The burn you describe will also make a mess of the bottom 3/4 of the firebox and glass, covering it with glossy black creosote. That's fine, don't worry about that, the cat is eating whatever smoke makes it up to the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.