Should my chimney touch the moon?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Firestone, thanks for the info on the roof. I won't be able to post pictures of the attic until sometime tomorrow. It's insulated with fibre glass batts, but I did want to add more insulation up there before next winter (we'll save that problem for another day). There is a lot of room to move around up there (I can stand and I'm 6'). I don't see any way in getting the stove pipe through the house without going through that crosstie. This is, of course assuming that all the floor trusses allow for smooth passage. I have some room to work with, but not enough to completely avoid that crosstie.

I'll hopefully have time to do some measuring and joist finding tomorrow, but it's a busy weekend.

I'm pretty stubborn and believe that inanimate objects, like this stove, can be stubborn too. I WILL NOT lose this war!

Cheers,

L.S.

Greetings: Don't sweat the "crosstie" you will be able to re-fit it into the construction. As for clearances, Be sure to use a double wall black pipe from stove to ceiling, and if your stove already has a heat shield, you should be able to close up clearances and even install tile directly on drywall. However you will have to clear this with an inspector, and both of you agree on interpretation of the instruction manual. I would consider removing the drywall behind the stove, and replacing with cement board, then putting tile directly on that. We usually think of drywall as "fire resistant", but that is not really true. the paper will begin to char with excessive heat, I don"t know if it will actually burst into flame or not, don"t really want to find out eh!

Greetings; I have been looking again at your photos. Go Back the first page, and have a good look at the picture "Shari" posted. By putting the stove in the corner, chinmey up through where your computer is, you will still reduce the amount of pipe above the shingles, and will only need one roof brace kit. This will also allow you to pull the stove a bit more into the room, not have any visual impact on the window or problems with the front door, ie: railing. You would of course have more "chrome" exposed outside, however it may be a worthwhile trade off.

Status
Not open for further replies.