Shoulder season temperature diff for draft?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

darktower007

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2018
Chattanooga
Hey folks! It’s sweltering out but as it cools down in a few months is there a min night temp to start burning? I live in Tennessee so it’s pretty mild even in early November. I have an Ashford 25/ 23’ chimney.

Last March when it was 50 at night I tried to burn and had a serious smoking issue in the house. Had to open all doors and we stayed out side for an hour! I’m new to all of this so any advice would be great. (I’m using 1 year old silver maple and oak- split and stacked).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey folks! It’s sweltering out but as it cools down in a few months is there a min night temp to start burning? I live in Tennessee so it’s pretty mild even in early November. I have an Ashford 25/ 23’ chimney.

Last March when it was 50 at night I tried to burn and had a serious smoking issue in the house. Had to open all doors and we stayed out side for an hour! I’m new to all of this so any advice would be great. (I’m using 1 year old silver maple and oak- split and stacked).

It depends how good your chimney draft at those temps. Oak needs more than a year to dry, possibly that explains why you experienced the smoke condition.
Try like real small pieces like kindly and also try top/down fire to put some heat to the flue quick and leave the door cracked a little longer. I go by the temps inside the house. If is cold in the house I burn regardless outside temps but I am lucky that my chimneys allow me to do that. I have no other heat sources just wood.

Reactions: darktower007
We’ve had many many fires when outdoor temps are well into the 60s. Just a 12’ chimney above my bk.

You just have to be smart about it and establish an upward flow in the stack

Thanks for the tips. I’m somewhat afraid of the horrid smoke issue now. So the top down fire, I assume it can’t be packed tight when lighting? I normally use those lighting logs to start it up. Hopefully it will help.

use a small torch for 30 - 60 seconds to get the draft going..... then you should be fine. I will also open the window near the stove till the fire is going well if its very mild out.

Packing it tight and mild weather requires to know how your system works under those conditions and a little of experience. Start with small pieces and enough to stablish draft and keep things going and then load a full load if that is what you want. Top/down will give you less smoke and will stablish draft quicker. It is all about practice and get to know how your system behave under different conditions. The same length of flue at different locations will behave different but as @Highbeam mentioned is all about put some heat in that flue to make draft. Looks like you have a tall chimney to make it work. Just learn and give you some time. Always remember to keep the bypass open when lighting the fire and till you get everything up to temps.

Reactions: darktower007
I have a boatload of doug fir scraps from splitting. Last week I started a fire at 58º to burn some of it up. No issues, it was uneventful.

When in doubt, strike a match and verify that smoke is going up the stack before starting a whole fire. With heat, that flow will strengthen.

I don’t see a lot of difference in actual stove performance between 40 and 70 degree outdoor temperatures. I see a big difference when there are exhaust fans sucking air out of the house. At least until I shut the loading door and the outside air intake system takes over.

If it’s cold, light a fire. No shame.