Shoulder Season Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Had this White Pine down since last summer (milled some of it) so after making sure the trails are open I decided to buck up some rounds, brought about 15 rounds out then split so the rest will be split next weekend.

I'm hoping it will be ready for this fall, have a high wind & sun area for it. Picture 4581 will be a new trail down to some downed White Pine that looks like it is good enough to mill.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4579.jpg
    100_4579.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 727
  • 100_4580.jpg
    100_4580.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 722
  • 100_4581.jpg
    100_4581.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 726
  • 100_4582.jpg
    100_4582.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 718
  • 100_4583.jpg
    100_4583.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 730
Nice stacks. Looks like you are set for years to come. Nice flat property you got there.

Looks good Zap.
I knew you'd still be in the wood with so little snow & warm weather.
You need a good winter storm just so you can take a break.

KatWill, we save the work on the hills for the spring & summer, we have two areas I've walked or taken the Rhino that have not been cut on so that will be a spring /summer job.

bogydave thanks, the frost finally set in, tried pounding in a t-post but had to stop when I saw the top flattening out. I'll hit that Pine again this weekend for more s/s wood. Not really busting my hump just a couple small loads of firewood a weekend.

I remember Sav telling me once you get ahead you can go at your own pace.

zap

Hey Zap, what is all that white pine down from? We have a lot of it here and I don't think I've ever seen one blown over. I've seen them snapped off at a weak point in the trunk, but never actually blown over. Of course we don't get hurricanes here either, but we do see 60-70 mph winds at times that will takes maple and popple down, but white and red pine always emerge unscathed, with the exception of a few branches here and there.

Pat

I think some of it is from the micro burst of 2008, just getting at the pine. I just hope some of the bigger ones are good enough for milling. Maybe not this year but for next I might sell firewood to the campers.

zap

I don't know about out your way, but any pine/spruce that been down for over 1 season here has been riddled with saw beetle tunnels ,making it useless for milling. Good for kindling and shoulder season stuff, or yeah, sell it to campers.

Pat

So far the two downed pine we milled were good, we do get some that are bad for milling.

zap

Round here any pine dead for 6 months is junk, after that time its barely good for firewood unless it was dead on the stump and you may get 10 months out of it and be able to burn it!

I think pine is great for campfires. Who needs oak that is going to take hours to burn out? I prefer pine that lights up fast and burns up fast - adding more wood is half the fun and I hate having to put out coals when I am ready to leave.

The only thing I don't like about pine is that it "pops" while burning, and those little sparks can fly 6-10' out of the fire pit

Looks like you are chipping away at those pines pretty good, Zap. You should be able to make some money selling that for camping, too. But me, I like using stuff like oak, maple and applewood for my campfires......because we cook on it all the time! I put my grill away almost ten years ago and we enjoy firepit steaks, dogs, brats, chicken, burgers, and corn on the cob all the time on the firepit. Nothing like cooking meat over a couple of slivers of soaking wet applewood. MMMM. I'm getting hungry for it just thinking about it!! Didn't mean to derail your post Zap.

Attachments

• 100_2371.jpg
    100_2371.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 474
  • 100_1836.jpg
    100_1836.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 472
Scotty Overkill said:
Looks like you are chipping away at those pines pretty good, Zap. You should be able to make some money selling that for camping, too. But me, I like using stuff like oak, maple and applewood for my campfires......because we cook on it all the time! I put my grill away almost ten years ago and we enjoy firepit steaks, dogs, brats, chicken burgers, and corn on the cob all the time on the firepit. Nothing like cooking meat over a couple of slivers of soaking wet applewood. MMMM. I'm getting hungry for it just thinking about it!! Didn't mean to derail your post Zap.

Sorry Zap
These pics just blew yours out of the water.
Steak, corn, firewood & a fire.
Great fire pit & Green grass :bug:

bogydave said:
Scotty Overkill said:
Looks like you are chipping away at those pines pretty good, Zap. You should be able to make some money selling that for camping, too. But me, I like using stuff like oak, maple and applewood for my campfires......because we cook on it all the time! I put my grill away almost ten years ago and we enjoy firepit steaks, dogs, brats, chicken burgers, and corn on the cob all the time on the firepit. Nothing like cooking meat over a couple of slivers of soaking wet applewood. MMMM. I'm getting hungry for it just thinking about it!! Didn't mean to derail your post Zap.

Sorry Zap

BD that wasn't my intentions...but looking out at the window at the dead, brown grass and grey drab skies with no snow, and the mention of campfires and such........dangit I just got sidetracked... :roll: ...couldn't resist digging the pics of the firepit out!

Scotty Overkill said:
bogydave said:
Scotty Overkill said:

Sorry Zap

BD that wasn't my intentions...but looking out at the window at the dead, brown grass and grey drab skies with no snow, and the mention of campfires and such........dangit I just got sidetracked... :roll: ...couldn't resist digging the pics of the firepit out!

LOL
Was joking with Zap
His pictures are always "top notch"

Scotty Overkill said:
Looks like you are chipping away at those pines pretty good, Zap. You should be able to make some money selling that for camping, too. But me, I like using stuff like oak, maple and applewood for my campfires......because we cook on it all the time! I put my grill away almost ten years ago and we enjoy firepit steaks, dogs, brats, chicken, burgers, and corn on the cob all the time on the firepit. Nothing like cooking meat over a couple of slivers of soaking wet applewood. MMMM. I'm getting hungry for it just thinking about it!! Didn't mean to derail your post Zap.

Ribeyes over apple is my all time favorite. My 'firepit' isn't as nice as yours, but it still makes mind-blowing steaks.

Sorry Zap, but you need more steaks in your posts LOL!

Zap, I'm not sure if we've talked about this before or not so I will question you on the splitting of the wood. I notice that you have the logs on your right and throw the splits on your left which is opposite of the way we do it. The reason we do it opposite is that I grab the log with the left hand as the right hand is used on the control and it just seems a more natural thing to move the wood that way. Perhaps there is something I am missing?

Scotty Overkill said:

Scotty Overkill, I just get done pushing in wood then I come in to this, damn that looks good.

zap

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, I'm not sure if we've talked about this before or not so I will question you on the splitting of the wood. I notice that you have the logs on your right and throw the splits on your left which is opposite of the way we do it. The reason we do it opposite is that I grab the log with the left hand as the right hand is used on the control and it just seems a more natural thing to move the wood that way. Perhaps there is something I am missing?

Backed the trailer up to splitter then dumped the rounds which rolled down hill to the left side of the splitter, split then stacked.

zap

Scotty Overkill said:

How about I bring dessert, apple cake. :coolsmile:

zap

Attachments

• 100_4573.jpg
    100_4573.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 200
zapny said:
Scotty Overkill said:

How about I bring dessert, apple cake. :coolsmile:zap
OOOOOH YEAAAAH.....that looks like it would go good with the steaks and corn, no?.....looks like we're gonna have to get after Craig to start up a forum for the food pics. Maybe "The Cookstove".......hmmmm. ;-)

What type of stone did you use to make your it?

zap

zapny said:
What type of stone did you use to make your it?

zap
Zap I got all my stone (including all the stone I veneered my chase and house with) from an old quarry on the side of the mountain and from rock slides on both the east and west mountains here in central PA. It's mostly limestone and sandstone. I built my original pit back in '96 when my wife and I got married (the pic on the right with the corn cooking is the original pit), and over the years patched it up again and again (we use it A LOT), til I finally built the new pit last April. It is sunk into the ground around a foot deep (the top stones are flush with the yard), made out of maily larger stones. I took pics of the process, I'll make a post sometime of it. It is shaped like a 'goldfish', the square end of the pit (the fish tail) is where I pull the coals and grill the food over the stainless steel grille I made for it. I just pull the coals over, throw on a couple slivers of apple, maple, oak, hickory, or grapevine and go to town. Best steaks in the Allegheny Mountains!! Down the road I'm building a stone pizza oven. That is a dream I plan to fulfill someday....

Once you get the pics up PM me, I'd like to see it. Since we are way ahead with the wood supply we plan on clearing some topped of pine behind the house then put in some type of fireplace or pit.

zap

zapny said:
Once you get the pics up PM me, I'd like to see it. Since we are way ahead with the wood supply we plan on clearing some topped of pine behind the house then put in some type of fireplace or pit.

zap
Will do, my friend......

Status
Not open for further replies.