Shoulder Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

Looks like the NorthEast is having a rather strange 'shoulder season' this year. I've gone cold twice to fix my plumbing leaks, but I've debated going cold to eliminate idling. 50's and sun during the day . . .

Yet another time when storage would be nice but I just try to load small dry rounds so that if the damper has been closed for a few hours it will reignite quickly upon demand. I also keep the load very small, with the goal of having to load AT LEAST 3 times a day. I run the aquastat at about 165 (outputs from 155-175). I think with these temps it would be good to force the damper to open once every hour just to minimize creosote.

One advantage of the warmer/drier air is that you can burn smoke free quite easily if you load appropriatly.

It's been a great shoulder season here in Michigan. With storage I've been burning roughly every other day. I've twice gone three days on my tanks between burns. It's nice to see my wood piles staying put a little longer than expected but I'm sure it's all going to change soon enough.

My first wood burning season so I'm still on the learning curve....but I have so far mainly burned a small load of dry pine in the morning and again in the evening. With the boiler in the basement the residual heat loss from the unit keeps the main floor above at 68 or so most of the night, slightly higher in the day with the sun also warming us up. I'm grateful for this as my wood collecting efforts are somewhat behind. As much as I want to see what the new boiler will do on a really cold day...I can wait!

yeah it has been a wierd fall this year got cold early but hasnt stayed cold. I began buring in sept this year as soon as the fuel boiler started coming on often. I have probably burned a cord already even with trying to load lite. SO I hear ya about the wish i had storage thing. luckily if I run out of this load i have my next truck load of wood cut and half split its no where near seasoned yet but if I gotta burn it I will put the torch to it without a thought 300 for a semi load of log lengths is alot better than 700-800 to fill the oil barrel up.

48 degrees at 3am this morning up here. Strange, it was colder in october than now. Grass is still a little green. Just rototilled manure into the garden on sat. Usually have a touch of frost hitting the ground by now. Usually last week of november, starts getting few inches in the ground. But, I'm not complaining, damn nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.