Show me your load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My cookstove is like this. I've tried a few top down starts with mixed results, could have been the wood quality on the smokey starts. What works best is leaving a propane torch in the firebox for a bit followed by a kindling fire and then finally I can put real firewood in. Perhaps next year when I have even better seasoned wood and more experience the cooker will go smoother.

Do you have an exterior chimney? Once my cooker goes cold I think the exterior chimney becomes an intake for my interior chimney even when it's not burning.
Yes, both exterior chimneys. Paper and kindling works for the VC, super cedar fire starter works for the BK.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Heheh, I hope so too. Oh, look, it's a hybrid load (in a couple different ways.) ;) N-S and E-W. Did you have some wood cut to a different length for a different stove, and you're trying to fill a bigger box now?
I went out to a Hickory stack this AM. At 12 hrs. I had a split remnant left, about 3" in diameter and a foot long, put that in front and loaded Pignut behind it. On that coaled split, I tossed in a Pine kindling stick and a few small Red Oak wedges to kick off the load. That Pignut half-round on top had a knotty branch stub sticking out, or I could've gotten another small split in front of it..
View attachment 252585
This was fire wood I purchased 18 inches or under I have a 20 inch fire box was price was $180 for a cord nice hard wood, but wood was split smaller then I like also.

IMG_20191202_114312312.jpg
New to wood burning have a Drolet Insert with no Flush surround. Looks like I'm under loading my stove ! Been doing 3 splits at a time. Need to fill it more

Yes, it works great with the Princess. Sucks with the VC, no idea why. With the VC I have to use lots of paper, small kindling followed by splits. Luckily I do not do many cold starts with the VC.
I do top down on my VC stoves. Two or three large splits on the bottom. Smaller pieces on top of that followed by even smaller pieces on top of that. Repeat until I’m down to all the little pieces of debris I collect from splitting kindling. Light with a match and presto... we have fire. No super cedars or fat wood or torches needed. I will take a pic next time I do a cold start.

View attachment 252617
New to wood burning have a Drolet Insert with no Flush surround. Looks like I'm under loading my stove ! Been doing 3 splits at a time. Need to fill it more
Yes, I would load that puppy. Unless you are worried of over fire....no remedy for that from this end...

I typed in Ottawa and realized it's dang cold there, below zero out, you guys got it rough there. Then I typed in my place, hey wait a minute, also below zero. It's raining here turning to light snow.
Are you talking F* or C*?

That's what got me. The site was Celsius. Must have been a Canadian thing. -5deg here would be in F. and good and cold, not raining.
Yes , it has been unusually cold Nov here but not below 0*F! That would Jan/Feb cold.

Fire starter, white oak and some basswood sticks.
And half hour later.

Attachments

• 1203191804b.jpg
    1203191804b.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 180
  • 1203191831b.jpg
    1203191831b.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 178
Diabel, thanks for starting this string. Everytime it pops to the top of the list I start laughing.
It was staring be get a bit stale here.

Reactions: Mech e
Just topped off the Encore

Attachments

• F70D35DA-7B8D-474F-A786-35ABEE381AB5.jpeg
    F70D35DA-7B8D-474F-A786-35ABEE381AB5.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 153
Reactions: Diabel
You don't start your top-downs in the front of the box?
It doesn't seem to matter. If everything is starting right up amongst the secondary tubes, it gets a torch effect either way. There's lots of incoming air focused through the tubes to get that area fired quickly.

It doesn't seem to matter. If everything is starting right up amongst the secondary tubes, it gets a torch effect either way. There's lots of incoming air focused through the tubes to get that area fired quickly.
Oh, yeah, the secondary would push the flame forward anyway, not like my cat where the air comes in above the window..

View attachment 252743
as promised the chart the load.
Something looks odd with your chart. You say you loaded at 7:00 and the chart starts at say 15:00 and it is on a downswing, but peaks at 21:00
I might be not seeing something here....

Something looks odd with your chart. You say you loaded at 7:00 and the chart starts at say 15:00 and it is on a downswing, but peaks at 21:00
I might be not seeing something here....
Sorry wrong chart good catch. Here’s the correct chart.
1575462811003.png

Reactions: Diabel
10.5 hours later.

Attachments

• 33C78270-9A5F-4394-A3F1-390D199A82C2.jpeg
    33C78270-9A5F-4394-A3F1-390D199A82C2.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 122
Wow, looks like I have always been under loading my insert. I am always worried about it not refiring if I jam too much wood in there. Looks like I need to load her up!

Decided to do a bit of cooking in the stove last night. Cast iron skillet on top of a hot coal bed...couple of pork tenderloins and some potatoes in front. Left them in a few minutes too long for my taste, but still delicious.
IMG_6993.jpg

Decided to do a bit of cooking in the stove last night. Cast iron skillet on top of a hot coal bed...couple of pork tenderloins and some potatoes in front. Left them in a few minutes too long for my taste, but still delicious.
View attachment 252821
Wow, impressive. This would be with the door open right