Sierra Insert, information on / repair/ update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakethepup

Aug 3, 2008
Central Kentucky
Sierra Insert, information/repair/update

A couple of weeks ago I posted about problems with my Sierra insert, that when the unit was ran on high or medium the high flue temperature light would come on and then the stove would turn itself off.

After talking with the manufacture and the dealer, to correct the problem and after a lot of prodding the dealer he did come and repaired the insert. The problem is that the new stove design of 2008 has a new control panel inside the stove, and the IC chip that controls a lot of function of the Insert was faulty, and the company has sent out these chips to all the dealers to correct the problem.

When I was going to purchase this insert no one on this board owned a Sierra, insert or stove, but I thought I would post this information, just in case someone was lurking around the board or if someone else has the same problem, or was thinking about purchasing a Sierra product.

This is recall type of item, and the company is aware of this failure and will gladly repair it. So if you have similar problems contact your dealer or the company.

Since the repair, I have run the heeelllloo out of the insert and now I am very pleased with it. In just a few days even though I have not really needed the extra heat I have burned three bags of pellets, and I do think I am really going to enjoy the insert.

This is a great forum, although I don't post much, I sure do read just about every word here that is posted daily.

Jake,

Thats great news. Sounds like you been giving it a good testing. I was going to look at the Sierra easy-fire free standing unit at a dealer in Bowling Green, but was worried about what kind of service I would get being 1-1/2 hours away. Glad you got everything worked out.

kyburnr said:
Jake,

Thats great news. Sounds like you been giving it a good testing. I was going to look at the Sierra easy-fire free standing unit at a dealer in Bowling Green, but was worried about what kind of service I would get being 1-1/2 hours away. Glad you got everything worked out.

To be 100 percent honest, the company is a lot better to deal with than the dealer. There is a lady at Sierra, at extention 29 named Heather that is just wonderful to talk with and very happy to help you out.

If you go to Bowling Green and check one out, let me know what kind of prices they have down there, it would be nice to know what kind of deal I got, or what a ripping I got LOL Also, with the information I posted it would be interesting to know if that dealer knows about the bad chip in the Sierra 2008 stoves.

I bought a couple of bags of pellets at Lowes, and two at Tractor supply, and I don't like the ones from lowes they have a lot of ash and smoke the glass up more, and they are much smaller. The ones at Tractor supply are better they burn better not as dusty, and don't have as much ash as the brand Lowes sells. But the ton I bought from the dealer are better than tractor supply or Lowes. I can't think of the name of the pellets, but I do remember telling you the name. I will have to look tonight and let you know the name.

up here the Lowes and TSC both have the same brand. That's good that you can call the manuf. and get good help.

Just installed EasyFire insert in Nov. burning Fireside ultra from Home Depot. Nice burn No clunkers a bit of ash, but as this is first P-stove, i don't know what Normal is. I clean out every 2 days. Is that normal? Once the High Flue did come on, but after looking at flue connection (used shop vac to blow and vacumn, it seemed fine. Cleared signal by unplugging both the Battery and outlet, everything restarted fine...Hope that was just a fluke!
Thanks for listenning

Status
Not open for further replies.