Significant creosote building with Jotul F100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not real fond of climbing on the roof so my neighbor offered to do it. I suspect is either 25' or 30'.

I installed a class A chimney for my sister, which penetrated the 8/12 pitch roof about nine feet, two stories up. I rented one of these, and would do it again in a heartbeat. It was so much easier, and I felt completely safe. It was $160 for four hours.

towable-boom-rental_001_003.jpg

I want the stove to site outside my firebox. What will have the better draft?

1. vent out the back 10" to a T and up a 25' liner with 1 slight "S" turn

2. vent out the back to a 90 degree elbow and straight up the 25' liner

The draft would be basically the same, but you would want to go with the "Tee". This way it gives you an easy access to remove the creosote and clean it. It also has about a 4" drop where creosote can build up with out any consequence. The 90* elbow will build up with creosote and block up. Go with the Tee.

The draft would be basically the same, but you would want to go with the "Tee". This way it gives you an easy access to remove the creosote and clean it. It also has about a 4" drop where creosote can build up with out any consequence. The 90* elbow will build up with creosote and block up. Go with the Tee.

Is there any reason I can't spray paint the T black to match the wood stove (assuming I am using the appropriate paint)?

Greetings,

I have an F100 in almost the exact same set up as yours for 10+ years now. Installed outside the fireplace opening with a 90 deg elbow to 30' or so of 6" flex. This stove can be successfully cleaned by removing the baffle. It can be tough to get that first 3' or so of rod around the 90 deg bend but it is doable. Trim the nylon brush as this stove has a 5" outlet to make it easier. The soot is contained in the firebox with minimal dust into the living area.

The first year or so with not the best wood was disappointing as this little stove is more sensitive to moisture content than others I have used. I did open up the secondary burn holes slightly 1/16" of an inch or so which caused the secondaries to light off at 400 deg or so surface temperature. I can get 4 hours or so loading north to south with douglas fir and pine, but the rounds are short and a pain to cut. Good stove and not a problem after 10 years although it is time for a gasket job.

Status
Not open for further replies.