Silicone Sealant For Sealing Storm Collar On Class A Chimney - This Work?? Suggestions??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlankBlankBlank

Minister of Fire
Oct 12, 2011
PA
I bought my class A chimney today. Also picked up this Hi-Temp Silicone Sealant. Rated -75F-500F. Seems like this should work to seal the storm collar that is located just above the roof flashing cone. No? Rated to 500F high enough rated? Suggestions??

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Hi-Temp Silicone Sealant.jpg
    Hi-Temp Silicone Sealant.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 2,794
We just installed ours today and used regular silicone sealant. The Class A pipe outside temperature was at around 130 Degrees F at high fire.

That'll work just fine.

pen

pen said:
That'll work just fine.

pen

Thanks again BeGreen. After reading another post about the chimney pipe being about 130F, this is probably a little overkill. Though it will work. This will be my first class A chimney, so not really sure what to expect exactly. Masonry chimneys just don't get hot on the outside. Wasn't sure about the metal, even with the insulation.

Without starting another nearly identical thread, I noticed on my top plate in my liner kit the pipe section coming through the top plate is definitely not weathertight. Can I use silicone on that? It would basically be touching the liner directly.

OhioBurner© said:
Without starting another nearly identical thread, I noticed on my top plate in my liner kit the pipe section coming through the top plate is definitely not weathertight. Can I use silicone on that? It would basically be touching the liner directly.

I'm not sure. A product or method must exist to deal with this area. I'm sure someone with experience will give suggestions and probably ask some questions too.

OhioBurner© said:

A new thread would be best. Especially if a picture is involved. Sounds like you have the wrong or a missing rain collar? Or the liner sticks up too far?

pen

We use a 2" aluminum foil tape with a caulk on the back, it's called various names, putty tape or hard cast tape. It outlasts silicone by a long shot. The foil protects the caulk from ultra violet rays and deterioration. We sell it for .55 cents a foot.
Ernie

ernie said:
We use a 2" aluminum foil tape with a caulk on the back, it's called various names, putty tape or hard cast tape. It outlasts silicone by a long shot. The foil protects the caulk from ultra violet rays and deterioration. We sell it for .55 cents a foot.
Ernie

Very interesting ernie. Can you provide a brand name or suggest where to get this in Wisconsin?

You can buy it online at www.hechlers.com in the online store. Look under gasket kits and maintaince items. Otherwise you might check with a heating and cooling supply house. You need to make sure it is the foil with the caulk on the back and not just plain foil tape. This stuff is amazing, once applied it does not come off. I have some on my stainless steel chase top that has been there since 1987 and still is holding.

ernie said:
You can buy it online at www.hechlers.com in the online store. Look under gasket kits and maintaince items. Otherwise you might check with a heating and cooling supply house. You need to make sure it is the foil with the caulk on the back and not just plain foil tape. This stuff is amazing, once applied it does not come off. I have some on my stainless steel chase top that has been there since 1987 and still is holding.

Ermie, thanks again. I'm going to put in an order.

pen said:
OhioBurner© said:

A new thread would be best. Especially if a picture is involved. Sounds like you have the wrong or a missing rain collar? Or the liner sticks up too far?

pen

No liner in it yet, its just the top plate itself. They are basically just crimped together, probably would be fine but if I could seal it I would. Where the actual seam is you can see a spec of daylight through it even. This is what it is:
http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/store/catalog/terra-cotta-topplate.jpg
Where the round stub pipe mates with the flat plate.

Doesn't the cap have a rain shield that goes on the bottom which will cover this gap?

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.