Silicone use for door glass - Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptar

Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2007
Hi
I have three pieces of pyroceram glass that I plan to put in for my door on a Whitfiled ADV circa 1992.
-one center
-two side pieces.
Can I use a high temp sealent (500 degress) where the sides meet the center or does this get too hot for this use?
Thanks

NO!!! too hot, glass is rated at 1400 degrees for that reason , you will need to be much higher, hopefully one of the dealertypes can direct you to a usable sealant , but 500 degree silicone is not the way to go with this application

was this to replace that older "bay window " 1 pc glass? , does the door facing have stringers that extend vertically in the door?, we built a b-vent gas unit that had such stringers at one time with a 3 pc glass, that way the gasket for each piece of glass had somthing to seal to. normally i do not advocate modifying a unit due to liability issues but somthing like that may possibly be done , however it could effect certain things not directly associated with function of the unit.if the door accepts the glass and an inner stringer of metal can be added to seal the gasket where they butt together maybe this could be done. i cant see the door you have but i can kinda picture it in my mind. would require drilling and tapping screw holes in the cast door. and using steel stringers (flat steel , bent in the middle to fit against the glass maybe 14 guage) with holes drilled to hold them in place to the door. i would sandwich the glass and gasket with them to create a seal. may not look as nice but may actually be functional, just so you know , this is quite a reach on my part , but it worked quite well in our b-vent units. i dont know if this is helpful to you , but i thought i would throw it out there.

Thanks stoveguy2esw

Yes the older 1 pc bay glass is what used to be there. One guy who thought he had it wants $400. I thought I would just make 3 pcs work which is what the other ADV model moved to. I do not have vertical posts (or stringers as you call them) but I have thought about welding them in. The other thought is to just leave what ever gap exists alone but I do not know if this would impact the performance of the stove or cause smoke.

if there is a gap between the glass it will have a remarkably bad effect on the fire. pellet stoves work on the principle of "negative draft" meaning that air is "sucked" through the fire from the exhaust side. haviing a leak in the glass would allow the draft blower to pull air through the gap in the glass instead of through the fire. this would create a very bad burn (if it burned at all). it could also have an effect on the feed system which probably will not allow feed if the air gap is too big. leaving an air gap in the door face or glass is a huge no no. 400 bucks for that glass is to be expected also as it is a "bent" piece , very expensive to do as a custom job it could be twice that.

unfortunately as well , it appears lennox no longer supports any whitfield products more than 10 years old (which blows IMHO) so they will likely not be of help. you may luck into finding a dealer who just might have one in stock but expensive it will be , like the 400 dollar quote you were given.

Status
Not open for further replies.