Simpson "Poor A Vent" Pellet Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Not Duravent, Poor A Vent. Stuff is overpriced garbage. Over the summer, I moved my P61A to a new location. The pellet pipe was a few years old, so I said what the heck, buy a few new lengths and start fresh. Installation was easy, starter collar to a 1-foot section to a 45 out the wall to an exhaust cap. I got a good lock on all connections, and put a smooth coat of RTV on all connections. I start the thing up in a dark room, and am shining a flashlight on the pipe to try and catch any leaks. No way this thing is going to leak, I say to myself, connections are solid. WRONG! It starts pouring smoke out of a seam halfway up the 1 foot section. Yeah, it will be easy to glob RTV on it and stop the leak once the stove cools down, but for the bleeping money you pay for that cr@p the least they could do is give you a decent product. Vaguely recall a thread about Simpson "premium" pellet pipe, which seems like a tacit admission that their present offering leaks like a sieve.

No there current pipe is listed to burn corn, thats the only difference except having stainless inner and outer pipes. Sounds like you have a unique problem, havent ever had any simpson pipe leak at a seam, just the joint if not sealed. If the pipe is bad, you can replace a 1' section for about $20. Or bring it back to the dealer. they might replace it.

Pipe does have warranty I would take it back. We use hundreds of feet of the stuff a year and have minimal problems. The only gripe I do have is that the clean out tee caps leak smoke unless you seal them with silicone between the inner & outer liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.