Single Wall Pipe Transition Safe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SilverBeatsGreen

Nov 11, 2021
Midwest
Appreciate the knowledge on this forum. New to burning with 100% of the responsibility, so learning as I go. Just had a Quadrafire installed. Really happy with the performance.

PSX_20211111_000731.jpg

Question - My installers we're great, communicative. I trust their expertise. Just had a weird feeling about the long term implications of a short section of single wall pipe when everything was spec'd for double wall, and one little short piece is single wall going into the cinder block chimney that feeds into the T and double wall pipe inside the unlined chimney. Any concerns, and is the single wall the best place for the thermometer? Thank you!
PSX_20211111_002127.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that is probably a T Snout coming out of the Chimney crock , with Double wall stove pipe attached to it. People with more knowledge than me will chime in here to correct me if I'm wrong. But I was told by Rockford Chimney supply that what you have there is acceptable. Since the Masonry chimney is not combustible. I would just make sure the double wall is securely screwed onto the T snout so nothing can come loose.
I don't think that is the best place for a temp gauge. I think you'd be better off getting a Probe Style temp gauge for double wall, and drilling a hole and mounting it in the front of the double wall pipe, 18" above the stove. Easier to see, more accurate/responsive readings, etc.

Reactions: SilverBeatsGreen
I think that is probably a T Snout coming out of the Chimney crock , with Double wall stove pipe attached to it. People with more knowledge than me will chime in here to correct me if I'm wrong. But I was told by Rockford Chimney supply that what you have there is acceptable. Since the Masonry chimney is not combustible. I would just make sure the double wall is securely screwed onto the T snout so nothing can come loose.
I don't think that is the best place for a temp gauge. I think you'd be better off getting a Probe Style temp gauge for double wall, and drilling a hole and mounting it in the front of the double wall pipe, 18" above the stove. Easier to see, more accurate/responsive readings, etc.
Appreciate the feedback. That makes sense. I thought they did a real fine job on the install overall, just that, in the absence of the "decorative" cover, seeing that steel turn red hot and wondering how that would impact that integrity of purpose of the rest of the double wall left me a little hesitant. Thank you.

Appreciate the feedback. That makes sense. I thought they did a real fine job on the install overall, just that, in the absence of the "decorative" cover, seeing that steel turn red hot and wondering how that would impact that integrity of purpose of the rest of the double wall left me a little hesitant. Thank you.
I don't think it should turn "red hot" have you seen it get that hot? Someone can correct me, but I think if your single wall T snout is red hot you might be running too hot.
I agree with you that it doesn't look beautiful, i would probably look for some type of black trim ring to put around there if it was me.

I don't think it should turn "red hot" have you seen it get that hot? Someone can correct me, but I think if your single wall T snout is red hot you might be running too hot.
I agree with you that it doesn't look beautiful, i would probably look for some type of black trim ring to put around there if it was me.
In the top picture, that is what I meant by "red hot." Probably wasn't the best description, as that implies some forging is about to take place it's so hot. I actually had barely run it hot enough to fully cure the paint until that photo. Been keeping things pretty mellow until I have a handle on everything. They're coming back with a decorative trim kit to finish it off. Wanted some 3rd party opinions, in the event I needed to bring anything up with them on their return. Thanks again.