Sirroco 20 smoke smell in house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dhide371

Dec 13, 2013
NJ
Have had the stove running pretty good all winter. Came in from garage and noticed a faint smoke smell. Went to the suspect and sniffed around. Seems to be coming from the top of the loading door.

When the bypass is opened and put on high there seems to be sufficient draft. I'm wondering why smoke would be spilling out instead of going the other way and having too much air leading to a high burn/runaway fire. The gasket looks new (it is) and I cannot tighten the retainer nuts until they are cool. I'm worried about a clogged chimney pipe but is this just a loose door?

And yes it surly could use a tightening.

Looking for peace of mind

run a brush down if you can. do dollar bill test on door

You can but there will still be some flakes left behind the cat, on mine I can reach up there and knock most of it down.

I've cleaned mine twice so far, the first I did not take pipe apart the second I did just to see how much falls behind the bypass, it was significant but like I said you can worm your hand up there or maybe a flexi hose on your vac.

Have had the stove running pretty good all winter. Came in from garage and noticed a faint smoke smell. Went to the suspect and sniffed around. Seems to be coming from the top of the loading door.

When the bypass is opened and put on high there seems to be sufficient draft. I'm wondering why smoke would be spilling out instead of going the other way and having too much air leading to a high burn/runaway fire. The gasket looks new (it is) and I cannot tighten the retainer nuts until they are cool. I'm worried about a clogged chimney pipe but is this just a loose door?

And yes it surly could use a tightening.

Looking for peace of mind

Don't own a BK, but I recall reading another thread where someone had a faint smoke smell coming from the hole the cat probe goes through in the stove top....

Don't think it's from the probe hole. No smell now but I've got embers only.

Just popped my roof cherry. Whew! Hearts in my throat! That being said from what I saw up there was minimal flakes and could still see some stainless. However I have 2 30* bends in the attic and 2 inside. I only made it past my 2 30s and then stopped right at the next bends. Looks like minimal ash in the stove. Waiting for it to go out then I'm going to tighten the door. Glad I did a sweep anyway! Keep u posted on results

Reactions: alforit
Do you have double wall stove pipe? These stoves have a very slow draft, double wall pipe and proper stovetop connection will help a lot. Sometimes they just seem to have a faint odor at times when running slow.

I'm waiting on my double wall inside. However this is the first time I've had smell and I've been burning all winter. Close to 24/7

Like webby said I've been noticing a faint smell lately, I've been burning as low as possible for three weeks now with the warm weather I have. I was thinking I was getting more junk building up in my stove, it seemed to help to crank it high for a little bit.

I had a little smoke smell when my door needed to be tightened a bit, could be the source of yours, make sure you check the door doing the dollar bill test to make sure its tight twice a year, I didn't one year and my cat went to hell in a hand basket quickly.

Dhide,, see my post from a few days ago. I'm in NJ as we'll same thing and it is also doing again tonight. I found if I run it hot 600 plus stove top it's good. If you do a slow burn tonight chances are you will see that smell increase. It's just the low pressure from the cold pushing the air back down. If you go outside and view the smoke if any it will look like it is just barely coming out even if the stove is cruising good. I don't have an isolated liner, some say this might help, wish I had this site before I installed. Let me know if you find something else.

Dhide,, see my post from a few days ago. I'm in NJ as we'll same thing and it is also doing again tonight. I found if I run it hot 600 plus stove top it's good. If you do a slow burn tonight chances are you will see that smell increase. It's just the low pressure from the cold pushing the air back down. If you go outside and view the smoke if any it will look like it is just barely coming out even if the stove is cruising good. I don't have an isolated liner, some say this might help, wish I had this site before I installed. Let me know if you find something else.
Yea I have been fine up until today. And we have had even colder then this! I'm fired back up as I have a bad habit of not letting the stove go out. I will after this load. Combuster bright as ever now just turned down for low burn. Still some smell. Very faint. Will tighten tomorrow as I'm sure this is the culprit

I can barley get a draft going. Just did a reload and the splits are struggling to take off after a fairly hot bed of coals. Worked great since the first week of Dec. until this cold snap.

Yea, it's damn cold. Maybe it's the weather idk?!

I'm wide open right now and only 74* in here. Which would usually be 85. My probe is only 3/4 full tho. Maybe because of cold?

Last edited:
Cold weather will drop exterior flue temps thus increasing the possibility of creosote condensing. This will be more likely with an efficient stove running cooler flue temps. It's why BK recommends double-wall connector.

Tightened the retainer hook up and were smoke smell free. It's pretty tight and hard to close. I wonder if l overdid it

How tight is tight enough? Nobody knows. This is a problem with the dollar bill test as well as the closing tension on the door handle. Perhaps with experience you can determine what is "normal".

Yea, who knows. I don't trust the dollar bill test just because you can't adjust both sides (left and right) luckily the smoke smell was coming from the latch side. I also worry that too right will most definitely wear the gasket out prematurely. Either way had to start a new fire :(. Can't wait for an ash pan so I can really keep it going 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.