Size of wood burning inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Olemartinus

Hearth Supporter
May 8, 2009
Texas Panhandle
Hello, this is my first post here.

We have a split level lake house in the Texas Panhandle. Each level has a functioning wood burning fireplace, but we would like to have a wood burning insert on one or both levels. The lower level is 1000 square feet and the upper level is 1600 square feet. The lower level fireplace is right next to the stairs, so I have been told by the local installer that an insert with a blower could easily provide heat for the upstairs by aiming the airflow up the stairs. Is this true. I have received a quote for $3,500 to install a Buck Model 91 in the lower fireplace. Would this produce too much heat for the downstairs? Would the heat be sufficient for the upstairs? We have a central heat and air system, and we could leave the blower on to help circulate air. Would it be better to place the unit in the upstairs, since we spend a great deal more time in the upper level? I would like to have a wood burning insert in each fireplace in the future.

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.

John Martin

Howdy Ole,,Welcome!! It can get rather brutal on the Pan Handle,,ey? I`ve never heard much about air louvers on stoves being adjustable. Maybe he was referring to using a fan to move the air. My insert heats a 23 x 14 room before it exits a 6ft. door into the foyer ,and up the stairs.I have no problem with it doing so with no added help. Your floor plan will dictate what type of air movement you get. Is it a closed or open floor plan? Could you post a rough drawing? I`m having a hard time visualizing a fireplace next to a staircase, and you may have a hard time keeping warm air on the first level. (need more info) Your central fan would help equalize rooms, however stoves are not designed to be forced through duct work and the heat coming out wont be what you would hope for. Most of us burn to offset the cost of heating bills , and running the central fan somewhat offsets the savings. There is a lot of work that goes into heating with wood and I tend to really pinch penneys when it comes to hanging on to those savings. I need to revisit Bucks site anyway,,but others will be quite famaliar with their models

Wow!! Thats a beautiful insert. It`s appearance surely outdoes all other models!! Are the aesthetics your principle reason for choosing this model?? Is it that you
prefer a catalytic stove?? That is one huge firebox 4.4 cu ft. Might be too much,,,hope others chime in. Has the local installer by chance actually seen your floor plan and chimney? I ask because that is an 8" exhaust and want to be certain it can be installed in your set up! I wonder how clean the side panels stay,,,you got me interested in the stove,,I like that price , but would want to read some reviews of actual users

The Model 91 is a monster stove. I am gonna make a stretch here and guess that you are getting it from Justin in Hereford. What kind of venting does he plan to install? From the price I figure that he is going to put a liner in the chimney. There are very few fireplace masonry chimneys with room to do a code compliant installation of a 8" flue liner.

It is a good thing you spend most of your time upstairs because a 4.4 cubic foot 600 pound cat stove is gonna heat things up downstairs. A lot. And if you have a fairly tight well insulated house the whole joint is gonna be too. Everybody tries using the central heat fan to move air around. I have yet to ever hear anybody say they made it work. The best way is to use a floor fan moving the cold air toward the area of the stove. The warm air moves in to replace it.

As much as I dearly love big honkin steel stoves, and would love to give that big Buck a test drive, I think a little smaller stove would be better in your application. And I say that even after spending many a cold windy night in Lubbock, Plainview and Amarillo.

And to add just a little to BroB's post....If in the future you think you may want an insert for BOTH floors, that big 'ol beast is gonna be some severe overkill.

You say upstairs is where you spend your time...I say focus on doing something up there first. Find an appropriately sized stove or insert for the level in your home where you live. Worry about heating the less-used area later. Rick

Heat upstairs first.

See how you like all the work and mess involved with wood burning.

Experience how hot air does flow in your home.

Then decide on heating the downstairs....

It's all about experience and every set up is different.

Oh, almost forgot. Our first insert was bought before I found this site and I trusted the salesman's pitch on the size I needed. Within a short period of time I realized it was too small for days below 40*. Luckily found this site and began researching alternate inserts and I got a great education. Also got a new, bigger insert and have been very happy with it. It was an expensive learning experience. :sick:

I did a pretty good job of heating most of my 2800' colonial in NE (colder than normal) with my Jotul C550 (3.1 cu. ft). FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.