Sizing wood stove from oil furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
ashful...you need 2600 gallons of oil per heating season? You're in the mid-atlantic, so I thought it would be generally milder than the NE. That seems like an enormous amount of energy..how many sq ft are you heating? Considering about 3 months of cold weather and a couple shoulder seasons, you'd have to be getting >500 gallons/month delivered. Wow. I'm in a tiny house in the NE and used about 500 gallons total last yr, so I'm trying to calibrate this. Glad the wood saved you a little. Thanks.

ashful...you need 2600 gallons of oil per heating season? You're in the mid-atlantic, so I thought it would be generally milder than the NE. That seems like an enormous amount of energy..how many sq ft are you heating? Considering about 3 months of cold weather and a couple shoulder seasons, you'd have to be getting >500 gallons/month delivered. Wow. I'm in a tiny house in the NE and used about 500 gallons total last yr, so I'm trying to calibrate this. Glad the wood saved you a little. Thanks.
I'm heating a little more than 3x your square footage, about half that net being 250 years old with original doors and windows, so I am a very poor example for your calibration. In addition to the oil-fired boiler, I'm running two heat pumps, propane, and the two wood stoves.

When I first bought this old joint, my oil delivery guy referred to me as an "every 7-10 day'er," meaning they'll have to deliver to my house every 7 - 10 days. That's when I knew it was time to get into wood heat. I've been able to hold close to 1000 gallons of oil per year, the last few years, with both stoves running from Halloween thru spring.

This is how I know the math I provided above is not too far off the mark. ;)

awesome thanks for the help, just need to finish splitting this last bit. Problem I have the only shoulder season stuff I have is construction scraps. I guess that will have to do.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk