Slap me now if wrong area - 1st post

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ed.suitt

Nov 19, 2022
I could not find an area just for pellet q/a. Yes, I also tried the search.
* How old of a pellet have to be before you would not use them? We have owned our stove 15 yrs or more, no not a newby. Last year we used our furnace all winter. Our remaining pellets were stored outside on their pallet covered with a tarp and under a covered porch. Making the pellets approximately 1 1/2 y/o. Would you still use them?

If they are still in pellet form, not saw dust by all means burn 'em. With my bottom feeding Harman I'd probably burn them if they were dry saw dust.

Reactions: Ed.suitt
I've stored pellets outside for a couple of years and not had any issues. Go for it. If you are really worried about it, put in 1/2 a bag and see how your stove runs.

Thanks everyone.
I have 2 different brands out there that I tried yesterday and today. Green and clear bag (O'Malley), bad this time. Red and white bag (Statesman), cranking pretty good heat.

I've got pellets that are at least 6 years old. Stored inside, and still good. kap

Running like I remember. Low setting and 75* in the house. Ready to open a window now.
Thanks everyone.
20 some y/o PDVC still kicking.

Getting it done!

PXL_20221122_025649559.jpg