Sledding Pictures 2019

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Greenbush / Greenfield, Jake. Finally moved up here last spring. Trail access right across the road from the house .

Reactions: firefighterjake
Greenbush / Greenfield, Jake. Finally moved up here last spring. Trail access right across the road from the house .

One of my former co-workers bought a house there a few years back.

Short day on Saturday.

112 miles . . . Unity to Dover-Foxcroft. Riding with my brother in law and his girlfriend.

The plan was to ride up to Katahdin Iron Works to see the old kiln and then on to the B-52 crash on Elephant Mountain.

Unfortunately we only made it as far as Dover-Foxcroft as the girlfriend's older Polaris wasn't running right . . . had to leave the sled there and she rode two up on the brother in law's sled.

On the flip side . . . the girlfriend did take some photos: Ducks in Dexter, a photo of the couple together, photo of me and my brother in law and a photo of us pondering the meaning of life while taking a break beside the trail.

Attachments

• Ducks.jpg
    Ducks.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 256
  • markDeb.jpg
    markDeb.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 328
  • markme.jpg
    markme.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 341
  • Marktrail.jpg
    Marktrail.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 252
20190302_121929.jpg

Saturday. Drove a few minutes over wind swept skimpy stuff to get to the view. Much better in the woods.

Attachments

• 20190302_121929.jpg
    20190302_121929.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 289
Last edited by a moderator:
We put the sleds away until next season, it's almost time to build the wood inventory up again.

A couple weeks ago . . . March 9th. 140 miles of local riding.

Unfortunately, it's all gone now. . . time to start thinking about ATVs . . . well . . . not quite . . . going to The County this weekend.

Attachments

• Mar9a.jpg
    Mar9a.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 291
  • Mar9b.jpg
    Mar9b.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 260
Short day on Saturday.

112 miles . . . Unity to Dover-Foxcroft. Riding with my brother in law and his girlfriend.

The plan was to ride up to Katahdin Iron Works to see the old kiln and then on to the B-52 crash on Elephant Mountain.

Unfortunately we only made it as far as Dover-Foxcroft as the girlfriend's older Polaris wasn't running right . . . had to leave the sled there and she rode two up on the brother in law's sled.

On the flip side . . . the girlfriend did take some photos: Ducks in Dexter, a photo of the couple together, photo of me and my brother in law and a photo of us pondering the meaning of life while taking a break beside the trail.

You came pretty close to my place! I've been hearing sleds for a while now.

Reactions: thewoodlands
You came pretty close to my place! I've been hearing sleds for a while now.

Not if you're in the Machias area . . . Dover-Foxcroft is quite a ways away from the Machias area.

In other news . . . finished out the riding season (for me personally) with a trip to The County.

Not if you're in the Machias area . . . Dover-Foxcroft is quite a ways away from the Machias area.

In other news . . . finished out the riding season (for me personally) with a trip to The County.
Yes, I realized that after making the post. Fir some reason I thought it was closer, but I'm still learning this place.

I'm surprised you still had any snow left to ride on.

Yes, I realized that after making the post. Fir some reason I thought it was closer, but I'm still learning this place.

I'm surprised you still had any snow left to ride on.

The trip to Dover-Foxcroft was a few weekends back . . . the trip to The County was last week -- they still have a lot of snow there and have the potential to be snowmobiling into mid-April.

Used the sled to help with some of the work after a storm earlier this year. It's always about the firewood...

20181129_113708.jpg 20181129_120436.jpg 20181129_123045.jpg 20181129_123643.jpg

Glad to see other sledders here! Got our first sunny ride in last weekend!revy nov 2019.jpgGRACE 7.jpg

5 days straight of pounding snow in the alpine. 5 plus feet in 5 days. And I cant go for another week yet.......
This pic is not mine, but it is unbelievable! In 25 years of sledding the mountains in BC i have never seen such a dump at once.

Attachments

• CECF0769-42A7-40F9-AB2F-0CCAD9337743.jpeg.jpg
    CECF0769-42A7-40F9-AB2F-0CCAD9337743.jpeg.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 343
No pictures . . . or riding . . . but I did sell my 2007 GSX 500 SS with 9,000+ miles and bought a 2014 Renegade Adrenaline 1200. I suspect there will be a learning curve going from a relatively light-weight two stroke to a rather heavy four stroke . . . not to mention the longer track and different riding position.

Some of you might get a kick out of the ad I posted on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist . . .

$1,450

2007 Skidoo GSX 500 SS

9,832 miles . . . and no, they were not all County, Northern or Quebec miles. They were put on the hard way . . . one grueling mile at a time. Well, maybe it wasn't that bad. Oh, who am I kidding . . . I enjoyed each and every one of those miles. By the way, aren't you glad I didn't use that crap NaN mileage that folks are posting in ads these days -- I mean how hard is it to go out, start the sled and write down the mileage on the odometer?

No, it's not my wife's sled. Come Winter she tends to hibernate inside and the chances of me getting her on to a sled are about as likely as me taking up knitting. Hell, she doesn't even like the smell of two-stroke exhaust.

No, it has not been in any accidents, unless you count the time last year when I made the ungainly transition from a trail to a plowed road/trail and in the process made a very undignified slow motion roll over. I mean I literally could have eaten half of a Subway BMT in the time it took for me to tip over. The good news of course is at that speed, or lack thereof, there was no damage except to my ego as all my riding buddies witnessed my ineptitude.

Yes, it is really a 600 cc sled, well technically 598 cc, but who am I to quibble over 2 measly ccs. However, I suspect you knew this already if you know anything about snowmobiles so I will not bother mentioning this fact . . . ^%$& . . . guess I just %&Ied that up by actually explaining it anyways.

Yes, it fires right up. No, it is not perfect. The top end was done last year. I do not have records of this fact. Why? Because I had the work done by a high school student at the local vocational school and I bribed him with free donuts. Actually, this is not as bad as it sounds . . . the kid works under an instructor who is a former Skidoo dealer and the kids act quite professionally . . . plus as a benefit, the kid found a slow coolant leak so it was so worth the glazed donuts I supplied him and his classmates with . . .

Yes, it does need some work . . . or at least I would do some work to it. I mean to say I would replace the track so I wouldn't risk being 101 miles in the middle of nowhere and having the track blow . . . but that's just me. I don't like living on the edge myself. I also might suggest replacing the skis. On my last ride of the year I had a carbide come loose and it wore a hole in one of the skis so that it now shoots snow up like the water jet coming out of the back of a Jet Ski. In fact, now that I write this I am thinking this could be a positive . . . so there is that. The starter is also temperamental and by this I mean downright ornery. For a long time once in a great while it would fail to catch and just make this whiiiirrrrrrrrrrrr sound before catching and starting up. This year I have had to mostly pull start it . . . on the plus side this means I can work on my biceps and triceps.

So yes, I am asking $1,450 or best reasonable offer. By "best reasonable offer" I do not mean $250 and a hearty handshake, $1,450 in Gamestop gift cards or $150,000 but only if I can help out your rich and recently deposed Nigerian Prince/cousin by giving you my checking account numbers, mother's maiden name, My Space password and the locker combination of the gym locker I used in 8th grade back in 1984.

I should also mention I am really not interested in trading for your 1986 GMC plow truck, scratch ticket which may or may not be a million dollar winner or that Cheetoh you found yesterday which looks like the Virgin Mary.

I am the second owner of this sled . . . not that it means much . . . I mean it's not like I'm selling you a bed or second hand boxer shorts. It doesn't come with much because I'm a pretty simple guy and don't tend to buy a lot of extras . . . it does however have a tunnel bag which my brother-in-law from Stafford Springs, CT likes to fill with empty beer cans when we stop to take a break at an intersection since he is all about keeping the trails clean . . . which is a good idea, but I still have no idea why he doesn't just put them in his tunnel bag.

I wish I could say this is "like new", "mint" or in "showroom condition" but hell . . . it's 11 years old with nearly 10,000 miles. I actually do ride it and it has some wear and tear . . . but by that I mean just regular wear and tear. The seat is in excellent condition with no rips, tears or mysterious stains . . . and the plastic is solid with no cracks or Frankenstein-like wire tie jobs holding it all together.

If there is anything good I can say it's that I am not a hard rider . . . I mean to say you won't find me attempting a double under backwards somersault . . . hell . . . I just about poop my pants when I catch more than three inches of air when I accidentally hit a mogul too fast. I guess that's all I can think of to mention at this point.

--

And yes . . . the sled sold pretty quickly.

Some of you might get a kick out of the ad I posted on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist . . .

$1,450

2007 Skidoo GSX 500 SS

9,832 miles . . . and no, they were not all County, Northern or Quebec miles. They were put on the hard way . . . one grueling mile at a time. Well, maybe it wasn't that bad. Oh, who am I kidding . . . I enjoyed each and every one of those miles. By the way, aren't you glad I didn't use that crap NaN mileage that folks are posting in ads these days -- I mean how hard is it to go out, start the sled and write down the mileage on the odometer?

No, it's not my wife's sled. Come Winter she tends to hibernate inside and the chances of me getting her on to a sled are about as likely as me taking up knitting. Hell, she doesn't even like the smell of two-stroke exhaust.

No, it has not been in any accidents, unless you count the time last year when I made the ungainly transition from a trail to a plowed road/trail and in the process made a very undignified slow motion roll over. I mean I literally could have eaten half of a Subway BMT in the time it took for me to tip over. The good news of course is at that speed, or lack thereof, there was no damage except to my ego as all my riding buddies witnessed my ineptitude.

Yes, it is really a 600 cc sled, well technically 598 cc, but who am I to quibble over 2 measly ccs. However, I suspect you knew this already if you know anything about snowmobiles so I will not bother mentioning this fact . . . ^%$& . . . guess I just %&Ied that up by actually explaining it anyways.

Yes, it fires right up. No, it is not perfect. The top end was done last year. I do not have records of this fact. Why? Because I had the work done by a high school student at the local vocational school and I bribed him with free donuts. Actually, this is not as bad as it sounds . . . the kid works under an instructor who is a former Skidoo dealer and the kids act quite professionally . . . plus as a benefit, the kid found a slow coolant leak so it was so worth the glazed donuts I supplied him and his classmates with . . .

Yes, it does need some work . . . or at least I would do some work to it. I mean to say I would replace the track so I wouldn't risk being 101 miles in the middle of nowhere and having the track blow . . . but that's just me. I don't like living on the edge myself. I also might suggest replacing the skis. On my last ride of the year I had a carbide come loose and it wore a hole in one of the skis so that it now shoots snow up like the water jet coming out of the back of a Jet Ski. In fact, now that I write this I am thinking this could be a positive . . . so there is that. The starter is also temperamental and by this I mean downright ornery. For a long time once in a great while it would fail to catch and just make this whiiiirrrrrrrrrrrr sound before catching and starting up. This year I have had to mostly pull start it . . . on the plus side this means I can work on my biceps and triceps.

So yes, I am asking $1,450 or best reasonable offer. By "best reasonable offer" I do not mean $250 and a hearty handshake, $1,450 in Gamestop gift cards or $150,000 but only if I can help out your rich and recently deposed Nigerian Prince/cousin by giving you my checking account numbers, mother's maiden name, My Space password and the locker combination of the gym locker I used in 8th grade back in 1984.

I should also mention I am really not interested in trading for your 1986 GMC plow truck, scratch ticket which may or may not be a million dollar winner or that Cheetoh you found yesterday which looks like the Virgin Mary.

I am the second owner of this sled . . . not that it means much . . . I mean it's not like I'm selling you a bed or second hand boxer shorts. It doesn't come with much because I'm a pretty simple guy and don't tend to buy a lot of extras . . . it does however have a tunnel bag which my brother-in-law from Stafford Springs, CT likes to fill with empty beer cans when we stop to take a break at an intersection since he is all about keeping the trails clean . . . which is a good idea, but I still have no idea why he doesn't just put them in his tunnel bag.

I wish I could say this is "like new", "mint" or in "showroom condition" but hell . . . it's 11 years old with nearly 10,000 miles. I actually do ride it and it has some wear and tear . . . but by that I mean just regular wear and tear. The seat is in excellent condition with no rips, tears or mysterious stains . . . and the plastic is solid with no cracks or Frankenstein-like wire tie jobs holding it all together.

If there is anything good I can say it's that I am not a hard rider . . . I mean to say you won't find me attempting a double under backwards somersault . . . hell . . . I just about poop my pants when I catch more than three inches of air when I accidentally hit a mogul too fast. I guess that's all I can think of to mention at this point.

--

And yes . . . the sled sold pretty quickly.

Funny. I have a 05 SS with 9000+ miles I need to sell! Only thing new on this one is the cover I just unpacked! Great sleds. Sadly it wont be replaced. 50f here today. Envious of you guys who still get snow.
The riding pics are inspiring!

Here is my new ride for 2020. Ski Doo 850 Enduro. Riding area centers around Moosehead Lake Maine but mostly north and west from there. Once in a while head south to D-F to a friends place for lunch.
A2E8D7D0-95A5-448F-BAB7-5171E7899418.jpeg

Reactions: firefighterjake
Does this count as a sledding picture? ;lol

Hahahaha! I actually saw that a few weeks ago driving through town! Silly Albertans!

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Hope it’s not picked!!!!

Snowmobile stuffed in a Subaru at the Bangor Walmart and Snowmobile on a roof in Oquossoc.

Attachments

• SubarusledBangor.jpg
    SubarusledBangor.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 290
  • SnowmobileOquossoc.jpg
    SnowmobileOquossoc.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 275
What was the name of the restaurant across the street from Oquossoc Marine? Was it Trails End? Boy did we raise some hell in there a lot more than once. LOL.