Sleet sound in chimney - when it's sleeting!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rowan_cb

Dec 14, 2018
Central Vermont
Revealing myself as a complete stove newbie, here goes:

We're three days in with our Hearthstone Green Mountain 40. The newly installed chimney comes up through our bedroom. Last night, it was sleeting here in Vermont. As we went to bed, we could hear what sounded like the sleet in the chimney pipe. Of course, google informed us that this is also the sound you hear when a chimney fire is imminent!

Should we be able to hear the weather, like sleet and rain, in the pipe (notably, right near where it goes through the roof) or was something more nefarious happening? Maybe also worth noting that we could not hear anything in the pipe downstairs, in the same room as the stove.

Nothing visually appears to be amiss with the stove or the chimney this morning, although I haven't been able to get on the roof.

Would we even be able to even build up enough creosete after three days for a chimney fire to be possible? We've been burning what I believe to be dry wood, but my moisture meter is still in the mail (I know, I know!)

Also, the fire was essentially just glowing coals at this point, I couldn't find any information on whether a chimney fire can happen at that point, or if it only happens when the flames are blazing.

Sorry for all the questions, but eager for your expertise! a first stove is a thrilling, but slightly nerve-wracking experience!

Sounds like the burn was on the downside as far as temp, so that's not when I would expect a chimney fire to be starting. And with only three days of burning, that would be highly unlikely.
Sleet may have been hitting the chimney cap, and might sound pretty loud.
You can put your stove in your signature, then people will be able to assess any questions you have, more easily.

Reactions: rowan_cb
Sleet hitting the cap and the sound traveled only so far is perfectly understandable.

I would have to agree that it's not a chimney fire and probably just the rain/sleet hitting your cap, especially with a new install and new pipe. Is your chimney pipe in a chimney or metal pipe ran through the roof? If it is the latter, nothing to worry about...it will be like rain on a metal roof.
Enjoy the new stove.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

I would have to agree that it's not a chimney fire and probably just the rain/sleet hitting your cap, especially with a new install and new pipe. Is your chimney pipe in a chimney or metal pipe ran through the roof? If it is the latter, nothing to worry about...it will be like rain on a metal roof.
Enjoy the new stove.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Yeah it's a metal pipe through the roof. Thanks all for weighing in; you've helped put my mind at ease. Probably for the best to have a little scare early on--will make us all the more vigilant about best practices moving forward!

Reactions: Woody Stover
Sometimes when cooling down mine will make that sleet sound in the pipe. You need to remember that each section of the class A inner pipe grows in length and extends into the section below it. When it cools those sections withdraw from each other. Mine made that sound really bad on the first burn cycle. Drove me insane until I thought that" if a chimney makes a sleet sound in the night and nobody hears it, did it really make a sound?" Haha