Slow burn on Quadrafire 7100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Captaink100

Nov 27, 2019
Pa
Hi all. This is my second winter using my Quadra fire 7100. I also have a Quadra fire 4300 wood stove. The 7100 does not seem to burn nearly as hot as the woodstove. Even at full burn rate I cannot get the soot to burn off the glass. My woodstove rolls fire and washes the glass even at a 1/4 burn rate. The temperature control does work in the 7100 and it will slow down to a lower burn rate when moved all the way to the left but it just does not seem to roll fire like it does with the wood stove. The BTU spec on the 7100 is mayve 1/3 higher than the 4300 but the stoce puts out wsy more heat. The draft on the 7100 is good and my outside air supply pipe is clear (Burn rate does not seem to change even when I have the outside air supply closed). Is it possible that the mechanism inside is not allowing full air to the wood. Not sure how the air wash is supposed to work. Im burning same wood in both fireplaces. The 7100 slow burn has been there from start. The dealer checked out installation by contractor but went out of business after we purchased fireplace. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

My Quad 7100 will burn the soot off the glass on a good hot fire. The glass will still ash up over a few days. Then I have to clean it.

How tall is your chimney? Mine is 30' straight up and it provides plenty of draft even with the air control all the way down. At first I thought that I could close the outside air and slow things down. Not the case. It will just pull air from the house. This is a feature of EPA stoves. There is no way to cut off the air like you may see others do with their stoves. Not possible with the 7100.

Not sure I am being much help with you identifying your issue, but I can tell you that the 7100 can put out a ton of heat once you figure out how to work it. My house is 4200 sq.ft. I am also getting 10 hour burns with seasoned wood. Can go 14 hours with a combination of bio bricks and splits for long overnight burns.

Thanks for comments. My chimney is 25 feet with one 30 degree offset in attic to get pipe behind ridgeline. If the 4300 did not burn so well, I would nit have such a drastic comparison. Thanks again.

Are you burning the identical wood in both the stove and the fireplace?