small fireplace insert - advice, help, abuse, anything!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pbs99

Sep 7, 2008
ulster co,NY
Hi Everybody,

I'm looking for any advice or pointers for my dilemma.

I have a martin SCF36MHA fireplace.

I would like to install a (zero-clearance) stove or insert.

the opening height of the fireplace is only 17 1/2 inches, which restricts what will fit, a lot.

The back of the fireplace is only 18 inches wide, which seems to rule out the Country Flame 02 (needs 22")

The hearth pad extends 19" in front of the fireplace. top of Hearth pad is 9" from the floor

From the pad to the top of the fireplace opening is 23 1/2 ". from pad to center of fireplace is 14 1/2 "

The fireplace opening width is 30".

Am I out of luck with inserts?

Is it a better idea to go for a free-standing rear-vented stove?

If that's the case, do i need to radically alter my hearth pad by dropping it to floor level.....or is there an easier way???

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks,

Ben

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 442
The height is a killer. Is the stove interior height also 17.5"? I'm wondering if the trim was removed if you could safely gain a couple inches.

hi,
17 1/2 inches is with the ash guard lip taken out, to the top of the firebox.
i had a contractor look at the fireplace, and he says nothing else can be modified to fit a zero-clearance insert legally. otherwise it'll
void the UL code. Does that make sense? Total Newb here!

Yes, that makes sense. The unit is small. Even for a stove in front of the fireplace, that is low clearance.

ok,thanks.

so i guess i HAVE to have the hearth pad moved to the floor and extended out, then i MAY have a chance of fitting a freestanding
wood stove with a rear vent through the fireplace? I don't really want to have another chimney installed!

how about removing the whole fireplace? or do i just not want to go there?

i am also starting to think about having a wood-fired hydronic furnace in the baseboard (we use hot water baseboard heat) but from what i can find out, that seems MUCH more expensive!

edit/remove information

Status
Not open for further replies.