small home/semi-mild climate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddug

Hearth Supporter
Nov 26, 2010
SW New Mexico
So I'm running my first wood stove and I'm already dreaming of another. Right now it's not a fair fight so maybe I shouldn't be so judgmental, pitting a VC Aspen against a 600 sq. foot house with 20 ft. cathedral ceiling, no insulation and open vents. Just put the stove in recently and it seems to work well, and I expect I can heat the place adequately once I get it all buttoned up. I am a bit envious though, as most of my friends around here have larger stoves are warming their toes comfortably hours after they have bothered with it. Mine has to be fiddled with hourly at best, at least with the fuel I have available here, in order to keep it burning toasty. I enjoy playing with fire but fear the fun will probably diminish over time, plus you can't always be around to babysit the thing.

In my attempt to design a livable small home for 2 people plus occasional guests I quickly discovered that every square inch matters, hence the Aspen caught my eye. Also here in Southern NM the climate is a little weird. Heating season is Nov. to about the end of Feb. and the temperature swings can be very dramatic. A pleasant 60 degree day can turn to a rude awakening when you read the thermometer at 5 degrees the next morning! Typically though I'd say that most of the winter averages about mid 50's for highs and 20 or so for lows, plenty chilly when the sun goes down but most folks around here don't throw another log in much past 10 AM. I am sleeping comfortably through 20 to 30 degree temperatures now so if I can wake up to a 50 degree house that would feel downright tropical.

So I'm looking for the smallest stove I can get that will reliably burn hot for at least 3 hours, using the fuel available to me which is well seasoned juniper, pinion pine and scrub oak, most of it juniper. I can drive up the road a ways and cut pine, ponderosa I think, if I need to. I like the classic look of the PE T4 with the cast iron and legs but it is a bit pricy, for me anyway. Everything is relative. I thought some of you might be able to suggest a good choice considering my needs, and budget.

One more question- My profile picture doesn't show up. Anyone know why? It's there on my control panel.

Thanks!

Attachments

• edit avatar.jpg
    edit avatar.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 229
  • dugd_avatar.jpg
    dugd_avatar.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 222
Neat looking stove!

Pardon my ignorance but how would such a small stove achieve longer burn times? The fire box is barely bigger than the one I have. I like it a lot though. I looked at some of their other stoves, what the heck is a 35 to 1 burner?

Now, about my profile pic....

This is a new stove, as mentioned by one of our own members, Corie. We are all learning about it vicariously through 48Rob's experiences. It is small, but I think the usable firebox size is about twice the size of the Aspen. You could ask Corie. He designed the stove and owned an Aspen as well. Long burns are still going to be a challenge with this small a firebox, but they are similar to equivalents like the Jotul F3CB. If the budget could handle it, a smaller Woodstock stove like the Keystone would give longer burns using a catalyst.

Rob's 50TVL17 review
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/63210/

Thanks BeGreen for the info. I really am interested in that sucker and will check into it further. Nice small footprint would fit well in my place, and I am really not needing something with overnight burn capacity or anything like that. As I said, 3 hours or so would be adequate, I think.

Thanks for posting that. Still curious and ignorant as to how wood stove design affects burn times and heat output. I'm also ignorant about the official definition of burn time but to me it means how long the stove will stay at the proper operating temperature before reloading. Heat starts to drop on my little Aspen usually within an hour of tending. I may have some other issues and I will bring up some concerns in a different thread, but can one stove out perform another with the same size fire box as far as burn times? And why?

Thanks, I don't think he minds me borrowing his ID. Pretty sure I may have been him in a previous time.

Status
Not open for further replies.