Small Maple Score!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodBurnerInWI

Feeling the Heat
Feb 2, 2020
Madison, WI
It's been busy around the neighborhood all of a sudden!! Guy on the next street is getting what appears to be all of his trees removed. Have no idea why but free wood for me!! Grabbed the logs of a smallish maple tree that went down first. Pretty sure it's sugar maple (I've got leaf pics included) but I know its maple and I'm happy!

20210628_153819.jpg20210628_153825.jpg20210628_153830.jpg20210628_153835_HDR.jpg20210628_153845.jpg

Right now I'm in the middle of hauling quite possibly my best score ever!! This same neighbor has got two locusts coming down, one of which was taken down yesterday and I got 99% of the wood from that one because I was there as soon as the tree guys left. They didn't even need to stack it on the curb! Today is the second tree I think and I'm just waiting for the tree guys to leave lol!! Pictures of this second score this week will be posted soon!

It looks like Norway maple to me. Sugar maple seeds are different, more round with a more acute angle between the two seeds. Norway maple has the flat seeds, obtuse angle between seeds.

There is nothing wrong with Norway maple! Nice score!

It's been busy around the neighborhood all of a sudden!! Guy on the next street is getting what appears to be all of his trees removed. Have no idea why but free wood for me!! Grabbed the logs of a smallish maple tree that went down first. Pretty sure it's sugar maple (I've got leaf pics included) but I know its maple and I'm happy!

View attachment 280093View attachment 280094View attachment 280095View attachment 280096View attachment 280097

Right now I'm in the middle of hauling quite possibly my best score ever!! This same neighbor has got two locusts coming down, one of which was taken down yesterday and I got 99% of the wood from that one because I was there as soon as the tree guys left. They didn't even need to stack it on the curb! Today is the second tree I think and I'm just waiting for the tree guys to leave lol!! Pictures of this second score this week will be posted soon!

That bark looks like Norway Maple to me. Good score! Norway maple will burn nicely, if that's what it is.

I'd say definitely not sugar maple. And very likely Norway maple. The bark is the giveaway, though sugar maple leaves are indented a little more, typically.

Norway maple is very common in cities and suburbs.

Norway maple is fine by me :) I have two cords of the stuff drying from 2 years ago. The rounds were super sappy so that's what was making me think sugar maple!