Small pellet or coal stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joshuaviktor

Dec 19, 2005
Northwest New Jersey
I am eventually going to put a stove in my bedroom fireplace. Original plan was to put a propane set in, as we already have propane to the two ranges in the house. However, I am not sure how easy it would be to route pipe up to the fireplace without doing some demolition. As well, I undeerstand its not cheap to run one of those suckers ($1 an hour).

Anybody know a real small pellet stove, or maybe a hand fired coal? Fireplace is full size, with full mantel, and everything, and my bedroom is the old dancing room for the inn, so its not small. But I don't need a huge stove to roast us out. I'm going corn and wood for the house, but would have no objections to a small bit of a third fuel supply (pellts or coal). Just a pipe dream right now, making plans for the future.

My bed is right near the fireplace, so I don't want a screamingly loud pellet blower, but pellets/corn are the cleanest fuel to carry into the house, and I could keep standardized fuel supplies (sorta). Also, I like the ability to thermostatically control it, and even turn it off, without having to wait 12 hours till the coal burns out. But coal is a great fuel, and burns with a deep warmth. Ah well, it'll be two-three years before I can even think about it, as expensive as those suckers are.

Any ideas?

maybe the quadrafire castile insert? running on low there fairly quite and work on a stat incase you dont sleep naked.
Ryan

Wait, there are people who don't sleep naked??? Weirdos!

I agree with the Castile idea, not aware of anything smaller. They say they put out 30,000 btu full bore, but with the stat and 3 speeds you can adjust accordingly. We run a freestanding one, learned that it's better to keep on Med and set the stat rather than running on low all the time. Burns cleaner. I've noticed that the supplied stat with the unit isn't that sensitive (at least in our case, the stat is about 5 feet from the stove on an adjacent wall), it needs a 3-5 degree change before doing it's thing. Good luck,

B

Looked at the castile. It's attractive, 7000 btu/s an hour is fine to more than enough, and I understand Quadrafire is a pretty good brand. In the quadrafire website, it says fuel Wood Pellets/Shelled corn. It'll burn either, mixed, or separate? 100% corn, 100% pellets, mixes of both? Anyone? If corn, I have standardized fuel for the house. If Mix, don't mind buying a few bags now and again. And howmuch is a castile, street price?

Thanks for the info

Joshua

classis black MSRP 2079
basic surround MSRP 69.60

Enamle brown 2379
Panel 53.40
trim 145.20

These are MSRP. Make shure you buy local, no matter what the cost is. Some people charge freight on top of that. This is the least expensive way to equip the castile, you can add cast trim to the surround, and get severl color options.

Josh,

Either/or. I burn a 50/50 mix in mine, but I have burned 100% corn too. Stove will not reliably auto ignite at higher corn mixtures and not at all at 100% corn. I clean it once a day burning the 50/50, no significant clinker problems, everything falls in the ash tray with very little scraping. Seems to be a good stove so far (only running a little over a month 24/7), except for my roaring upon startup problem posted previously (see Pellet Roar). Prive was right around $2K for the stove alone, came to around $3K for everything including vent, hearth pad, etc. Installed myself, no problem. Cheers, it's Friday,

B

Check out the Thelin Little Gnome (pellet stove). Small footprint, unique looks.
I've heard good things about them. Don't know pricing but check
the site for dealers and give a couple a call. There's the link to the stove:
http://www.thelinco.com/stoves.htm

I think a thelin is a good suggestion, if you dont live in altitude, they split the duties of the combustion and convection blower with one blower, and does bot provide enough back pressure on the pressure switch. But they do look great, and work great, i have the least amount of service calls on thelin then any other pellet stove. That could just be do that it represents less then 2% of the stoves that i have out. They just dont work well at 6500-7000' and above.

There was another/is another company that makes a very small pellet stove meant for one room. It had a push-pull rod for air control and a firepot the size of a styrofoam cup. I just can't remember the name......

My experience is MOST pellet stoves are not approved for Bedrooms
and EVERY one that I have installed in a sleeping area people hatted it because of the Noise and they put out to much heat.

Pellet stoves sould not go into a room smaller than 600 sq feet because that is what they will heat at there lowest settings at 1# an hour

Automatic stoves that shut on and off will light and shut off way to much.

Gas is your better choice. Easyer to control the heat and no mess no noise/
you can run a Small gas stove for about 4 hours on a gallon of LP.

joshuaviktor said:
I am eventually going to put a stove in my bedroom fireplace. Original plan was to put a propane set in, as we already have propane to the two ranges in the house. However, I am not sure how easy it would be to route pipe up to the fireplace without doing some demolition. As well, I undeerstand its not cheap to run one of those suckers ($1 an hour).

Anybody know a real small pellet stove, or maybe a hand fired coal? Fireplace is full size, with full mantel, and everything, and my bedroom is the old dancing room for the inn, so its not small. But I don't need a huge stove to roast us out. I'm going corn and wood for the house, but would have no objections to a small bit of a third fuel supply (pellts or coal). Just a pipe dream right now, making plans for the future.

My bed is right near the fireplace, so I don't want a screamingly loud pellet blower, but pellets/corn are the cleanest fuel to carry into the house, and I could keep standardized fuel supplies (sorta). Also, I like the ability to thermostatically control it, and even turn it off, without having to wait 12 hours till the coal burns out. But coal is a great fuel, and burns with a deep warmth. Ah well, it'll be two-three years before I can even think about it, as expensive as those suckers are.

Any ideas?

Morso 1410 coal stove, Harmon mark I (twice the size of the Morso), and a Esse 500. All coal.

hey hearthtools, are gas appliances usually approved for bedroom installation? (I know that pellet stoves usually aren't)

Just wonderin

Shane said:
Alot of DV fireplaces are.

MOST direct vent unit are approved for a sleeping area for they DO NOT use room air for combustion.

The old code for Gravity or B vent unit is you can if the sleeping room is not unusualy tight
and can not have more than 1000 btu for every sq feet of area. or is it qubic feet
something like that ??
I dont have the excact wording around for I would never put a B vent unit in a sleeping room and I have not sold a B vent gas unit in years.

If the rest of the house will be wood, why not go with a Jotul 602?
You may find one in the off-season for a decent price

They light FAST and would be perfect for a big room

Just a thought

babalu87 said:
If the rest of the house will be wood, why not go with a Jotul 602?
You may find one in the off-season for a decent price

They light FAST and would be perfect for a big room

Just a thought

Yes, the 602 is another great suggestion. I can't believe I forgot that one. Lopi makes a nice little radiant stove, as well as the really beautiful Vermont Castings Aspen. Won't vouch for quality of the Aspen, but it sure looks nice, especially the enamel ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.