Small shop vac for stove and ashes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I'd like to have a smallish shop vac that would be good to clean up around the stove. Does not necessarily have to be big enough to suck up all the ashes in the bottom of my VC Vigilant. Of course, it would need a HEPA or other fine material filter.

What do you guys use. I need one that can be trusted not to blow fly ash all over the house when I use it.

I don't use any vacuum cleaner in my stove . . . and I'm quite leary of using it around the hearth on the off chance it might pick up an ember or coal that I think is dead and it is not . . . generally I just sweep my hearth and stove . . . vacuum it once a year at the end of the year after it has been dead for weeks . . . I will admit to using the vacuum though on the hearth once in a blue moon -- typically long after I have loaded the stove (usually in the morning after an overnight burn.)

I use my shop vac for seasonal clean up. If you're confident the embers are dead, have at it. My insert is about 10-15 feet from the back porch, and I picked up an extra hose from the dumpster so i can leave the vac on the back porch and just run the hose in the house. They also have a bag insert for the inside of the shop vac (mine is a Rigid) that's made just for small particulate like for sanding sheetrock, so I use that as well. Very clean, no mess inside that I know of, and I like being able to get every bit of ash out of there.

I put the vac outside.

Only clean it out that one when it's shut down for the summer and I know that it's 100% cold... like couple weeks since I put wood in it.

Generally, I use my Ridgid shop vac with fine filter and filter bags. Order my bags in bulk for about $3.00 each, versus $16 for two in the store. I haven't ever used it around a hearth or to clean out a stove. I have seen special (for ash) all metal vacuums sold at Blains Farm and Fleet for about $200.

If you REALLY don't want a shop-vac to be a dust-spreader, get a gore-tex filter. Only way, IMHO.
Indefinitely reusable.

Another vote here for vac outside with a long hose. I have found no matter what kind of filter I use, there will always be minute particles ejected with the air. There aren't many particles more minute than fine ash, and no worse place for it to land than on bright interior white trim or fabrics.

If you really want a vacuum for this, I remember seeing a metal vacuum at Menard's in their Stove & Fireplace isle. I don't recall the price though.

My stove was out for 2 days when doing the end of the year cleaning a few years back. As I was finishing up the bottom of the stove I saw the cat beat feet up the basement stairs in a way I'd never seen that worthless animal move before. That's about the same time I noticed the really strange smell. Started putting 2 and 2 together and turned to look at the shop vac behind me. When I say it was shooting a 4-6 foot flame out of the exhaust, I'm being conservative in my estimate. Grabbed the vac, ran outside and threw it against the ground next to the drive, it broke open and I was able to stand there ruining my shoes as I stomped the fire out.

Amazingly, the shop vac fired up after. Smelled like hell for about 6 months or so whenever I used it, but it is still going.

My advice is if you plan on cleaning around the stove w/ a vac, make sure it's an Ash Vac.

Here is an example: http://www.amazon.com/Hearth-Countr...9ROO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1319561082&sr=8-4

pen

We think we're good, but Shop Vacs REALLY know how to start a fire!

I sweep the large debri with a broom and dust pan and then either use the vacuums attachment or the tried and true dust buster

Status
Not open for further replies.