Small Space Wood Stove Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rambo3489

Jan 16, 2021
Central Wisconsin
Hello All,

This seems to be the best place to come for some actual advice. I feel as if I'm looking for a unicorn here. I'm in search of a stove to heat a small cabin (200 Square feet). I am requiring it to be able to cook food and heat up water, and would like it to have at least a snowballs chance at making it through the night with useable coals in the morning. The small space and the hope for extended burn times seem to be on opposite ends of the spectrum. If I get something with a decent capacity I'll be enjoying the fire from outside the cabin, something small enough to heat the cabin appropriately won't stand a chance of making it through the night. The cabin is 2x4 wall construction 2x6 floor and ceiling all insulated, double pane windows.

Thus far I have gone between a few stoves. A simple box stove would yield good results(morso, jotul, top my list), but I am not sure on the burn times. They're reported to be all over the map. The Kimberly has peaked my interest seems like it may be a good fit. What has me interested in it is the minimal amount of wood that would be needed to heat the space. Much less work making wood to heat the cabin. But again the burn times may likely leave something to be desired. The price is a bit of a factor too, but would honestly not be an issue if its the golden ticket. Something along the lines of a Blaze King Sirocco has crossed my mind, but would likely cook me out of the cabin. Maybe I could crack a window to level things off a bit? Being in Wisconsin it has been known to get fairly cold, however with the insulated small space I feel this is less of an issue.

Just wanted to get some of your takes on this. Most of the information I have found here for small spaces is more focused on 500-800 square feet or so. Seeing as how this is quite a bit smaller I wonder how it would affect the equation. I will be spending extended periods of time in the cabin over winter and am trying to find the best possible wood stove for the application.

Take Care,
Tyler

That's a pretty small space. I'd throw out the Alderlea T4 for consideration. It has swing out cooking grates. The castiron might buffer the heat in such a small area. Any small stove will have a challenge making it through the night. 1.6 cu ft might make it if you sleep fast....

With a small space like that I would be looking at propane or if wired, electric heat. There are little house stoves made by Cubic and Mariner and the marine wood stove by Dickerson that will work, sort of, but I wouldn't depend on that for uniform 24/7 heat.

PE came out with the new Alderlea 1.2 that is an interesting fit. And there is the Jotul 602.

Possibly worth a look.

On another site there is a satisfied user in a tiny cabin. PM me for his info if you want to look him up.

Yes, that is the Cubic stove I had in mind.