Small splits, rounds, etc. What do y'all do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bogydave said:
Sweet.
I like the design & looks. May steel your design.
Will do one of these for my cook out wood near the fire pit, may add a roof.

Thanks Dave. I just kept it simple. No mitered corners etc. The vertical 2x4s are exactly 36" so the spaces between the 2x6s are each 4.66" exactly. The top board can be rotated out of the way for easier front access. I'm really liking this fire pit idea...

I just throw them on the wood pile with the regular size pieces Sometimes 2 short pieces back-to-back can take the place on a normal-length piece of wood.. if not, then I just find some way to make them fit anyways ;)

Jutt77 said:
bogydave said:
Sweet.
I like the design & looks. May steel your design.
Will do one of these for my cook out wood near the fire pit, may add a roof.

Thanks Dave. I just kept it simple. No mitered corners etc. The vertical 2x4s are exactly 36" so the spaces between the 2x6s are each 4.66" exactly. The top board can be rotated out of the way for easier front access. I'm really liking this fire pit idea...

Didn't notice the swing top rail till now. That is a good idea.
Good job. Farmer blood in you somewhere. Many uses.
Kid play pen too.
Professional

Wood Duck said:
I stack my firewood in round 'holz hausen' stacks and pile the oddballs in the center. Two rings of 16 inch splits around the outside of an 8 ft stack leaves about 2 1/2 feet of center space. The mix of straight pieces and oddball pieces that I scrounge just about matches the pieces needed to build a holz hausen like I describe. I end up putting some straight pieces in the middle to finish the stack.

+1. I'm working on my 2nd and 3rd HH right now. I can often find a spot in the outer wall that actually needs an odd shaped piece to keep the wall solid and angled inward. Really oddball pieces can just go in the middle.

smokinjay said:
Back yard fire pit and a cold beer! priceless

+1 couldn't have said it better. I stash mine behind the garage, sorta stacked sorta thrown :)

Am I really the only one with an ice fishing shack?

We have an 8'x8' ice shack with a cool little old Findlay "Royal Oak" wood stove in it. We use about 4-6 garbage cans full of nubs, ends, uglies per season.

Status
Not open for further replies.