Small splits, rounds, etc. What do y'all do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jutt77

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2010
Bailey, Colorado
Through the process of c/s/s I've got a ton of round ends, short splits, chunks, smaller diameter logs, etc. I'm thinking about building a good sized bin in the backyard to keep them in since they're a pain to try to stack. Give me some ideas, what do y'all do to store your leftovers?

I have a couple 55 gal. barrels full in the barn and no further plan. The kids can use them for outdoor fires if they want. Otherwise, I will use them in shoulder season.

All my shorts and difficult pieces to stack are put in bin. I tend to use them in the garage on a day when I'm around as well as for shoulder season burning.

Make a bin out of a few pallets, burn them in the shoulder, like i am here.

Plenty of odd crappy shapes going onto the fire at present, bits of old root, all sorts, well all the stuff I would never post a picture of on here.........

A couple pallets made the base, then I used chicken wire and steel fence posts on three sides. It's kind of ugly but it works.

As long as it is wood and has not been painted, treated or glued, it gets burned. My name for these small pieces is "cookies, chunks, and splitter trash". They are burned similar to the procedure used by 727 sunset.

Recently discovered that a stove full of 1.5" to 2" rounds (branch wood) provides a longer overnight burn than one full of 5" to 6" split ash and cherry. Both provide a 12 hour burn but with branch wood the stove is still too hot to touch in the morning.

I stack my firewood in round 'holz hausen' stacks and pile the oddballs in the center. Two rings of 16 inch splits around the outside of an 8 ft stack leaves about 2 1/2 feet of center space. The mix of straight pieces and oddball pieces that I scrounge just about matches the pieces needed to build a holz hausen like I describe. I end up putting some straight pieces in the middle to finish the stack.

I try to pile most chunks in the woodpile. The really small stuff and bark I put in about 5 big plastic green-colored garbage cans that I have next to the pile. The downside of covering is that if it's wet to start with, it gets good and moldy. I bring the cans in to the garage one at a time and gradually burn it in the fireplace insert.

I usually can split the shorties and put them end to end, then into the wood stacks. Seems to stack just fine, kinda like a puzzle. Can do this almost with all-some oddballs get put in a garbage can til ready. I've also stacked shorties around logs that have a "V" to add stability.

John_M said:

Recently discovered that a stove full of 1.5" to 2" rounds (branch wood) provides a longer overnight burn than one full of 5" to 6" split ash and cherry. Both provide a 12 hour burn but with branch wood the stove is still too hot to touch in the morning.
That's interesting, I have found a small load of 2 or3 inch rounds to give off a very hot fire.

My punks (a bit punky but too good to toss in the woods), chunks (short pieces) and uglies (crotch pieces, twisted wood, wood with branch nubs, etc.) are . . .

1. Tossed in the center of my holz miete
2. Tossed on top of my stacks
3. Tossed to the side and used at the start or end of the burning season when I do not need to fill up every nook and cranny in the firebox . . . I save the good stuff for later in the year

I make two stacks on pallets, outside and inside, with a good space between for air circulation. I toss all the chunks in the space.

I have a little too much wood, so I give my stuff like that away. I just finished 5 cords up yesterday, and from the 5 cords it's about a very full 6' pickup bed full. My uncle is coming to get it. He doesn't have as good a wood supply as I do, so adios!

mbcijim said:
I have a little too much wood, so I give my stuff like that away. I just finished 5 cords up yesterday, and from the 5 cords it's about a very full 6' pickup bed full. My uncle is coming to get it. He doesn't have as good a wood supply as I do, so adios!

Thats what I've done with some of my odds and ends is give them away so far. Based on other folks comments I'm going to build a roughly 10'x6' bin (3-4' tall) with pallets for the base. My wife did not approve of my original idea of pallet sides for the bin since its going to be in a visible spot in the backyard so I guess I'll use a bit of treated lumber. Thanks all!

On top or in the ranks. Not that many....

When I stack in the basement I just lay all my splits down N-S on the pallets and make a row E-W about 15 feet long or so, then another one at the front of the pallets. Because my splits are usually 18-22 inches long this leaves me about a foot gap between the two rows, all the little oddball bits and pieces get tossed in here and I use them as the winter goes for rapid heating on cold mornings. Wake up on a SAturday morning and its down to like 70 in the living room and I know the wife will be complaining...toss in a half dozen of those weird shaped chunks and open the air control wide opena nd the stove goes right up to 500-600 degrees pretty quickly.

Jutt77 said:
Through the process of c/s/s I've got a ton of round ends, short splits, chunks, smaller diameter logs, etc. I'm thinking about building a good sized bin in the backyard to keep them in since they're a pain to try to stack. Give me some ideas, what do y'all do to store your leftovers?

A bin sounds like a great idea.
I may do the same, off the side of the wood shed & some kind of cover.
I dry it on top of the rows & like you have no real good place to store it when it's dry.
A bin with good air circulation, easy access is a good idea. (shoulder season & "cook-out" fire wood)

Back yard fire pit and a cold beer! priceless

Here is what I am going to do: Found a supply of large burlap bags that coffee beans are shipped in. Going to fill them up with knobs/knots, tie them closed and stack the bags on top of the piles which will be covered with a tarp.

In one area, I have pallets that once served as a compost bin - back, two sides, and now a bottom. I put a row of standard splits in front and toss the uglies in the back.

I have a couple of wood bins for the 'uglies' and other stuff too small to stack. Mine are built from metal lath or wire cloth sides, stapled over 2x4 uprights. Some get roofs, some get tarped. Size varies from ~3ft square to 4x5ft. I stack them maybe 2+ft deep.

I keep a few odd stacks of small rounds, cut up pallet wood, etc. Sometimes I stack this smallish stuff inside larger cardboard cartons on end. 4gal cardboard paint boxes hold all my small Red Oak splitter trash. They stack nicely, BTW.

The Oak tinder has become an important part of my fire starting method. I ended up using: 2 smallish splits in parallel, kerosene soaked pine cone in the middle, flat splitter trash covering, then more tinder over that, then 'larger' stuff like 1-2in rounds, pallet wood etc. piled on 'pup tent' style. Finally, a couple of smaller, flatter splits cover the outsides. This starts up fast and hot. Add a few more smaller splits at about 10 minutes, and soon it's ready for a full load of the bigger splits.

I'm sure there are easier methods involving a lot less 'fiddling' at startup. The one above works well for me, however.

Well I built my odds and ends wood bin this past weekend. My backyard had an old sandbox that was there from the previous owners that served as the location of my new bin. I had to put some retaining wall blocks in (bin is on a slope) and level the area inside the bin. Tamping, laying gravel and leveling the first layer of those blocks was time consuming but fortunately there was only about 12 feet of wall in total.

I was going to use a combination of old pallets and some galvanized roofing material to build the bin but my wife said that would be too ghetto, so, I built the bin out of PT 2x6 (horizontal boards) and PT 2x4 (vertical). Dimensions are 6x8x3 so she'll hold a little over a cord. The base is sand from the sand box and pallets cut to fit the inside dimension on top of the sand.

My next project? Re-seeding the yard...
IMAG00031.jpg

smokinjay said:
Back yard fire pit and a cold beer! priceless

Good call Jay, I've got some leftover retaining wall blocks that may become a new fire pit:)

Sweet.
I like the design & looks. May steel your design.
Will do one of these for my cook out wood near the fire pit, may add a roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.