Small wood stove for a 5th wheel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newbe1

Jan 4, 2009
Idaho
I am looking at wood stove options for my 42' 5th wheel. We are living in Idaho at 5500', and will be using the furnace for 8 hours at night. What might be some good options was thinking a 2b standard, but with limited flue height length of 10' not sure it would draft well?

I can’t help myself.

You want to do what with a wood stove and a travel trailer????

You want to do what with a wood stove and a travel trailer????
Thats the plan, We have been in it fulltime for the last few years. I know all the RV's are heading south now. I love snow skiing, last winter was not too bad with the furnace, but like dry heat, with a flame.

Have you looked at the cubic mini series?
Yes I have, but way too small for a 42' 5th wheel with 5 slide outs. I'd like something that will take a 12" or larger log. It isn't unusual to be -10f a few nights a week, and would like to get a couple hours between reloading.

Reactions: MMH
Last winter my furnace went out for a couple weeks. I was using 50 amps of electricity to keep the temp in the low 60's. I think 30k btu should be comfortable to -10f

Probably easier to store bags of pellets in the 5th wheel than firewood too

The main issue will be clearances in a tight space. Another issue will be air supply. Look only at stoves approved for mobile home use. These can be bolted down and have an outside air connection. The other big issue will be proper venting. Most stoves need 15' of vertical flue minimum these days. Some will run on a bit less. Look at the True North TN10.

The main issue will be clearances in a tight space. Another issue will be air supply. Look only at stoves approved for mobile home use. These can be bolted down and have an outside air connection. The other big issue will be proper venting. Most stoves need 15' of vertical flue minimum these days. Some will run on a bit less. Look at the True North TN10.
TN10 specks look very good, mobile home install, 3" clearance in a corner with double wall flue could work. The only thing I don't like is 14" log length, but probably will be using presto logs when I don't process my own wood.

TN10 specks look very good, mobile home install, 3" clearance in a corner with double wall flue could work. The only thing I don't like is 14" log length, but probably will be using presto logs when I don't process my own wood.
Have to make compromise somewhere. I’d make that especially if cutting my own wood.

Also look at the Woodstock Survival Hybrid. It will work on a shorter flue.

The survival stove looks nice but way to heavy. The stove will only be installed for winter use. Right now the TN10 looks like the one. I like the 2b standard for the longer length wood, but the minimum flue height is 15' vs 12' for the TN10.