Smartlog?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a 40 lb (12 log) box of SmartLogs to test the Heritage using "known dry material". $12 for the box at Aubuchon's. Great flame - I'd say the stove got hotter faster - as compared to my "seasoned?" oak. And that was from dead cold, using a couple tiny splits and kindling w/ a plain wax firestarter (sorry - Woodstove Wife did the kindling/start before I got home - I haven't tried the SuperCedars yet!) to get a coal bed, then putting 2 SmartLogs on, followed about 15m later by a 3rd one. Stovetop, door glass, and liner pipe surface temps all got to about the same points i usually max out at w/ plain oak (350 / 550 / 290), but generally that's after i've burned about twice as much wood and for twice as long. So i'll agree there's "more heat" here per log. But within 2 hours, i was already riding down the temp curves and the remnant piles of mushy "log" were unmanageable inside the firebox. I could push around the piles a little. I could think about plopping more logs on at a buck apiece and expect to be flamed out by midnight. Or I could drop 3 or 4 oak splits in there and ride those til 6am in all likelihood.

I will try again when it's below freezing out and see what happens, but i think I'm on the "not really worth it" wagon - and i want to compare against real BioBricks when I get the chance...

Status
Not open for further replies.