Smell from American Solartechnics Tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
No, I'm always trying to minimize any idling. I have 15 hours of idle since new and it hasn't had any since September. I also have the boiler circulator at high speed. This seems necessary to get enough heat transfer rate to keep enough demand on the boiler as the storage tank is approaching the upper set point temperature.

I was wondering about your HX in your tank if it would be enough to keep up with your boiler but obviously it's getting it done. Good to hear.

I was wondering about your HX in your tank if it would be enough to keep up with your boiler but obviously it's getting it done. Good to hear.
The htx is rated for 100 kBtu/hr. The boiler is rated for like 102 kBtu/hr. I usually go check the boiler after a few hours to see how full the tank is and how much fuel is left. If there seems to be a lot and I'm a few degrees away from reaching the tank set point of 180F I will bump the thermostats up a degree or two to ensure it doesn't enter slumber. Then the house can coast.

Last edited:
Reactions: warno