Smell like fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eschills

Aug 9, 2008
Long Island NY
Should the room my NPS40 is in smell like there is a fireplace in the room? Even after the stove is off for hours the room smells like I was burning in an open fireplace. The room is 25 ft X 20 ft. I have resealed my pipes with silicone, but do get a little smoke when starting the stove. Should you be able to tell there is a stove when you walk in the room?

I'm nowhere near as experienced as most here, but i have to say that you shouldn't smell fire. I had that same smell and i knew it just couldn't be right. was tough to find the leak because i had sealed all joints on the flue pipe, or so i thought....found the leak at the T......no more smell.

My room that stove is in does not smell even slightly of a fireplace.

I agre with HEMI...sounds like there may be a leak somewhere. There should be no 'fireplace' smell at all. Good luck in finding the problem... 8-/

I have to agree too, Must be some type of a leak some where.

Dim the lights in the room and get a bright light and inspect those pipes while it is running. It is very easy to miss or not quite seal the joints enough. You will see the smoke rising from the leak.

You can use tape or HT silicon while the pipes are hot. I took me 2 tries to seal mine before I stopped the smellies!

jay

I smell the same thing when the Castile stove is not running. Not all the time mind you, nor a big deal, but occasionally I have smelled it. I have the outside air kit and I chocked it up to some air being drawn in through the OAK passing through the stove and picking up some odors possibly from the ash pan. Kind of a musty smell isn't it just like an old fireplace? Maybe next time my stove won't be running I should empty the ash pan to see if that resolves the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.