Smells/smoke normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wally1234

Sep 5, 2010
CT
1. Turned on my pellet stove and light smoke(came out from the side vents and blower (before the stove really got going) after flame turned on the smoke went away.. only during the first few minutes while I turned the stove on did it happen. Pics of vents below. Should I be worried/is that normal?

Stove is 2 yrs old Harmon. Yes I do clean my stove but I don’t clean vents/blower. Not sure if I need to or how to do it.

2. Stove gives off a “slight” burn smell. Basically if you were to walk into the room blind folded you could tell I have a pellet stove due to the smell. Again... light smell

I did have the installer install a outside air intake but how can I even verify that it’s working and what they did is right?

f73bd10b1a324339fd9430c34fc44456.jpg

1f56d527c80929a8aa75eeff6f75d3a9.jpg

7cfab3c428ea43712f930cbd5347f55b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s a Harmon accentra p52i

No it's not normal.It's probably a leak in one of your vent pipe connections.Double check all connections and make sure they are sealed with silicone or thermal tape.

After two years use and you haven't cleaned the vent ? I'd start there. While the stove is pulled out you can check if the connector pipes were ever sealed. If not then seal them.

If you can't do it yourself you should hire a professional to do it.2 years is too long to let that go.It's not hard to do but everybody's situation is different.Good luck.

When you say vent pipe do you mean my exhaust that’s going up the flue?

Also, how do I clean my vents? They don’t come out ... do I just hold a vacuum next to the vents?

When you say vent pipe do you mean my exhaust that’s going up the flue?

Also, how do I clean my vents? They don’t come out ... do I just hold a vacuum next to the vents?

You need a brush that is sized for the vent diameter and you need to run that brush through the entire length of pipe.Ash accumulates on the walls and will restrict airflow.The smoke is coming from the connections in your vent pipe.They should be sealed.

Vent = vent pipe/exhaust/chimney

Also let me rephrase... I do have my exhaust vent which goes up my flue cleaned every year.

I am talking about the smell vents on the sides of my stove (in the pics) do I need to clean those?

I have the installer coming out in 2 weeks :-( they are booked. They are trying to blame my chimney cleaning ppl but I don’t think they broke anything. When they cleaned it weeks ago.. it’s been working fine. Only yesterday did the smoke happen.. wondering if the installers did a shotty job, then again it’s been working fine for 2 yrs.

Bump....

Can anyone plz tell me if they clean the side vents and blower on their insert? Like the ones in my pictures? I don’t mean the exhaust vent that goes up the flue

You could blow them out with a can of compressed air ( used for computers) i dont believe it would be an issue to the stove operation if you didn’t. They just allow air to the components in the back and allow residual heat into the room

Bump....

Can anyone plz tell me if they clean the side vents and blower on their insert? Like the ones in my pictures? I don’t mean the exhaust vent that goes up the flue

The "blower" combustion fan should be pulled and cleaned every year. Ash builds up and restricts air flow. Side vents are more or less decoration or fresh air intake vents. The convection blower (distributes the heat) should be cleaned yearly as well yet should not have anything to do with the smoke issue. Do you have an OAK (outside air kit) on this stove?

The "blower" combustion fan should be pulled and cleaned every year. Ash builds up and restricts air flow. Side vents are more or less decoration or fresh air intake vents. The convection blower (distributes the heat) should be cleaned yearly as well yet should not have anything to do with the smoke issue. Do you have an OAK (outside air kit) on this stove?

1. Yes I do have a OAK. Had the installer install it but how do I even know if it’s working right. They hooked it up but doesn’t mean they did it right. Is there a way to test if the OAK is working.

2. I do clean the combustion chamber(I open the door to get to the fan)
.. my convection blower(I think manual calls it distribution blower) I don’t think I clean this.. my manual doesn’t mention it... I think the manual leaves a lot of stuff out on what to clean.

1- Where does your OAK go, up the chimney or down through the cleanout? You could unhook from stove and hook up to a shop vac and listen to the vacuums motor to see if it changes pitch. Becarfull not to colapse the tube with vacuum

2- combustion blower= exhaust fan, convection blower= Distribution fan Blows hot air into the room. Both should be removed at least once a year and blow out fan blades and motor windings, lube motor shafts in bushings/bearings. They are located in the rear of the stove.

Reactions: mralias