Smoke chamber brick/block

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Smoke chamber brick/block have a wood insert with insulated ss liner, pro installed in masonry chimney. Right above where old fireplace damper is, the smoke chamber wall seem to begin and I can feel the bottom of it as juts out from the facade of fireplace. It feels like block that has open cores facing downward. This is the Best pic I can get of it. The cores feel to be about 1.5 inches.The open core I’m referring to is on left middle side of pic. It seems as though there are several of these going across the lenght of the masonry firebox. My thought is creosote could have built up in those cores in block when open fireplace had been used. My liner runs uninsulated near this area. (Insulation wrap starts about 16 inches up the liner from insert). The bottom of blocks itself appear clean, fwiw. Not sure if I’m worrying for nothing. Is there a need for anything to get done to increase safety here?
Pic is of looking at inside front of masonry chimney, about 4 or 5 inches above damper.

Last edited: