Smoke chamber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bb1580

Oct 19, 2018
Kansas
So I live in an old farmhouse that has an interior fireplace on the main level and in basement that vent through separate flues . The old couple who lived here before me bricked in the fireplace on the main level, left a 6x8 cleanout door and then cut a 6 inch hole into the smoke chamber and vented an old ashley wood stove into it. I have purchased a ss flex liner and insulation kit. I cleaned the clay flue and surprisingly enough it was pretty clean with the occasional chunk along the way. My issue is the smoke chamber. It is covered in thick shiny/crunchy creosote. My question would be how do I effectively get this out? Cant go in from firebox since its bricked in. Only way through the top of the chimney or through the 6 inch hole... Any ideas?

So I live in an old farmhouse that has an interior fireplace on the main level and in basement that vent through separate flues . The old couple who lived here before me bricked in the fireplace on the main level, left a 6x8 cleanout door and then cut a 6 inch hole into the smoke chamber and vented an old ashley wood stove into it. I have purchased a ss flex liner and insulation kit. I cleaned the clay flue and surprisingly enough it was pretty clean with the occasional chunk along the way. My issue is the smoke chamber. It is covered in thick shiny/crunchy creosote. My question would be how do I effectively get this out? Cant go in from firebox since its bricked in. Only way through the top of the chimney or through the 6 inch hole... Any ideas?
Open up either the face of the smoke chamber or the firebox so you can get in there to clean it.

I figured I was going to have to open the firebox up. Won’t be to hard they just bricked in the face. I can get my arm through the hole and I’ve tried brushing but it won’t budge. Can a sweep hit that with chains or what’s the best way?

I figured I was going to have to open the firebox up. Won’t be to hard they just bricked in the face. I can get my arm through the hole and I’ve tried brushing but it won’t budge. Can a sweep hit that with chains or what’s the best way?
Chains may work or it may need chemicals i dont know.