Smoke detector detector?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
I currently have First Alert wireless smoke detectors in my house. They're OK (don't love them though), and were a fair investment. Wired alarms aren't an option. My biggest thing is that I want everywhere in my house to alarm if the CO or smoke alarms go off anywhere, which these do. I was reading about alexa guard on the echo devices, which detect the sound of a standard alarm and then send an alert to your phone. Which is cool, but not of much use when I'm asleep. Looking for a system that would be able to listen for an alarm, and then broadcast it to other devices in the house. Saw a few that might do that, but were too expensive to be practical. Mainly, I'd like to gradually replace the first alert units with something more basic as they fail. When I end up with all basic units, I can reevaluate putting in a whole new system or sticking with the rebroadcast tech.

We went with Google Nest Products, our current heat source is a LP Hot Water Boiler with 4 zones. We replaced the old Honeywell thermostats with Nest Gen 3 Learning thermostats so far we love them. The reason I bring this up is that we also are installing Nest Protect CO/Smoke Detectors (100$ US), if CO is detected we have the settings so that it notifies us but also shuts off the call for heat thus shutting off the most likely cause of CO.