Smoke from chimney has a noticeable "rubber" odor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

regg1014

Nov 12, 2009
Rhode Island
Good afternoon,

I've been using the same woodstove since moving into this house 20 yrs ago. It's been fine right along and of course I have the chimney swept yearly (due to be done in about a week). The wood I'm burning is oak, left over from last year - so it's good and dry. Yet, when I'm outside I find the smoke from the chimney has a very distinct odor of burning rubber. This is a 200 yr old house and the the main chimney was divided into 3 sections years ago: 1 for the main fireplace, 1 chamber for the furnace and a 3rd chamber for the woodstove. The roof is in good condition (only about 5 yrs old), no odor at all inside the house and there is excellent draft being provided.

Could it just be some bad wood? Or is this something you've encounted elsewhere. Did not notice any problem at all last year.

Any suggestions??

Thanks
regg1014

sweep left a poly brush in the flue? When the chimney was divided into 3, was it via 3 seperate clay tiles? Neighbors burning tires?

Never heard of such a thing, but welcome to the forum.

The poly brush just might be it! I'll have them check when he comes out next week (same guy). No tires burning in the neigborhood..

thanks!

Could a critter have made a nest in your flue? Maybe a 'coon or bird picked up some rubber and brought it down? I think I'd let the sweep check it before I burnt it again.

Matt

That's so strange. I've had the same thing happen the last two days. One time with a load of elm, the other a load of pine. I've only been burning this go 'round for 2 years and at first thought it was just some smelly elm but after the pine and now this post, am wondering.

Good one EatenByLimestone. I can picture a 'coon with a piece of tire or an inner tube climbing the chimney.

regg1014 said:
The poly brush just might be it! I'll have them check when he comes out next week (same guy). No tires burning in the neigborhood..

thanks!

Well, the reason I asked if you had tiles, is if it was a clay tile, he wouldnt be using a poly brush. Having it rechecked just in case is a good idea

You sure you didn't accidentally get any rubber trees in there? Very common mistake!

Sometimes when I'm getting a cold or a headache is coming on, things smell different to me. Are you coming down with something?

Status
Not open for further replies.