Smoke from chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sj9

Dec 5, 2015
Pennsylvania
Hi, I have a quadrafire 4100, third year using it. Just this week I have been unable to get a burn going without smoke from the chimney. I am using the same wood pile, 2 years seasoned, that I have all season but am only now having a problem. I can see nice secondaries and the cheap thermometer I put on the front gets all the way up (> 700) with air control turned as low as it will go. Could this be caused by gasket leak? We have had record cold temps in the east this week. Could teal cold cause more draft such that I just can’t turn the air down enough?

Forgot to include that I see secondary burning but still some yellowish primary burning at the bottom. Can’t get rid of this no matter how far down I turn the air intake

Are you seeing water vapor and confusing it for smoke? If it dissipates quickly and floats away it's water vapor, if it's thick and sticks around, it's smoke.