Smoke leak = Carbon monoxide?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SculptureOfSound

Feeling the Heat
Sep 9, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Ok so I'm trying to track down the mystery smell on my insert.

If the insert was leaking smoke/exhaust (say from a leaking joint - it's a gasketed cast iron insert) then a carbon monoxide detector should show at least trace levels, right? My detector would show if it was at 10ppm or more but it always reads at zero, even when I check the "peak" button which shows the highest reading since it was last reset.

I'm hoping I can rule out leaking smoke with a 0ppm reading in my CO detector.

All the smells are going to be a mystery with first burns. They should go away with a few hot fires.

Ok so I'm trying to track down the mystery smell on my insert.

If the insert was leaking smoke/exhaust (say from a leaking joint - it's a gasketed cast iron insert) then a carbon monoxide detector should show at least trace levels, right? My detector would show if it was at 10ppm or more but it always reads at zero, even when I check the "peak" button which shows the highest reading since it was last reset.

I'm hoping I can rule out leaking smoke with a 0ppm reading in my CO detector.
Most wood smoke is going to contsin low levels of co. The only time you will see higher concentrations is when you are down to charcoal. But regardless almost all leaks will be into the stove not out it is under a vacume when its burning.

Begreen, is it normal that the smells would be strong enough to stink up the house (most of the 1600 sq ft.) And still be present after three hot fires (each lasting about 4 hours)?

Last edited:
Begreen, is it normal that the smells would be strong enough to stink up the house (most of the 1600 sq ft.) And still be present after three not fired (each lasting about 4 hours)?
Some smell yes. But the smell should be getting fairly faint at that point

I have CO detectors all over my house, never even read a 001 with the stove running. And, you have to get up to 50 just to cause a headache, up to 200 to kill.

Many smell with each new higher temp. And the first burn or two of the new season can have a hot stove smell.

I doubt 'smoke smell' would trigger the CO detector. You can likely smell smoke down in the parts per million range... think of the smell from a single match or blown out candle. And the smoke itself is likely only dozens or hundreds of ppm in CO. So a small amount of smoke with a small amount of CO means a tiny amount of CO overall...even though it could have a big smell.