Smoke leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
While loading the Encore today I saw a tiny bit of smoke come out the seam where the top meets one side. Never seen that before. Not noticing any performance issues. Stove is 22 years old, well-maintained and used daily. Do I need to remove the top to reseal or can I just use a little stove cement like caulk on that seam?

Local dealer told me years ago I should completely disassemble and rebuild every so often. I was skeptical (she also said I should "peg" the stovetop thermometer before engaging the cat which is just nonsense). But maybe after 22 years it's time?
a rebuild is in order every 20 years you need to reseal all panels

Reactions: bholler
Why would you want a barometric damper on a wood stove? It introduces cold air into the flue which is literally the recipe for creosote. Make sure to sweep your chimney often if you have one. Why not just use a key damper? Keep it simple stupid!

Reactions: bholler