Smoke on wood reload

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We get very, very few spillage issues with Princess models. King models are more susceptible to spillage if chimney is not optimized. The first thing I did was rip out the spark arrestor screen. That helped tremendously.

I definitely get more rollout with the princess than I did with the previous noncat on the same chimney. It's very minor nothing I worry about but it's there.

Reactions: Highbeam
I definitely get more rollout with the princess than I did with the previous noncat on the same chimney. It's very minor nothing I worry about but it's there.
So you did get an occasional spillage with the prior stove?

Well nothing as long as I followed the standard procedure of open the air up for 30 seconds or so then crack the door for a second before opening it.

I made a video of my King on reload, minimum 15' chimney, black dbl wall, class A, no roll out or spillage. While each install is unique, you should be able to address this.

Go ahead and post pictures...

Update on my smoke on reload issue: The cap was clogged! Our guess is the professionals (charged $500) that did the chimney sweep started from the bottom and pushed the debris up to the cap. We purchased sweeping equipment ($75) did it ourselves, started from the top, stayed at the cap for a few minutes, debris came all the way to the ground. Results: drafting very good now, no smoke when opening door for reload. Thanks again everyone for your ideas. Great forum!

Way to go!! Stay engaged and share your experience with others. That is what this forum is here for....

BKVP

Good. Cause found.

Do keep an eye on how the stove behaves; if it gets sluggish, check the top of the chimney again.

Given that your wood was dry, keep checking the cap anyway (binoculars?) to see how you're doing.
It should be okay (dry wood), but it was clogged. So some heightened awareness of what's going on up top is useful. Not sure how much longer the burning season is there, but if in the first half of the next season things keep going well (and you have similarly dry wood), then that more frequent checking can be decreased.

Great news but they didn't push the debris up into the cap and clog it. That doesn't happen it was clogged already. Now they should have absolutely made sure it was cleaned properly. But keep an eye on things it will probably clog again.

And $500 for a cleaning? Wow

Reactions: Highbeam