Smoke on wood reload

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

roneyTG

Mar 17, 2023
Montana
Can not reload wood on Blaze King (8 inch pipe)with out smoke issues.Just cleaned chimney. Bypassed the combustor, turn-up thermostat.Over 20 feet of double wall pipe.In Montana very cold less than 30 degrees most of the time(so far)just bought home last June.Any advise?

1) What is the MC of your wood?
2) Have you tried opening up the air and letting the coals heat up before adding wood?
3) maybe put some kindling in first and get that going before adding the bigger stuff on a reload.

Have not checked the MC of the wood.I am using at least 3 years dead, cut, stacked, larch and pine, weather protected (under roof) wood.
We do open air flow.
Fire can be hot as heck and still get smoke on opening door.
I do have the best results with just coals in fire box but still get some smoke if I do not load fast enough.
It sounds like this is common issue with a Blaze King.

Have not checked the MC of the wood.I am using at least 3 years dead, cut, stacked, larch and pine, weather protected (under roof) wood.
We do open air flow.
Fire can be hot as heck and still get smoke on opening door.
I do have the best results with just coals in fire box but still get some smoke if I do not load fast enough.
It sounds like this is common issue with a Blaze King.
And your sure you have the bypass open before opening the door correct?

What size is the pipe? When was the last time it was cleaned?

Check the cap for build-up restricting the flow.

Is your home very tight? Does cracking a window while reloading help?

I've not seen this much reported at all, especially at below freezing temps and 20 ft of flue.

Post pictures of install, inside and outside please.

Sorry if I missed it, but which stove model do you have? I think we’re assuming a king due to 8” pipe. But I don’t see where the original post actually says it’s a “blaze king King”.

Sorry if I missed it, but which stove model do you have? I think we’re assuming a king due to 8” pipe. But I don’t see where the original post actually says it’s a “blaze king King”.
First line of first post...
King

First line of first post...
King
Yeah, sorry, I guess it’s just the way my mind works, getting hung up on semantics. But it just says “blaze king”. I have a blaze king…but it’s an Ashford, not a king. But you’re right, I guess the mention of 8” pipe right after makes it a safe assumption.

Yeah, sorry, I guess it’s just the way my mind works, getting hung up on semantics. But it just says “blaze king”. I have a blaze king…but it’s an Ashford, not a king. But you’re right, I guess the mention of 8” pipe right after makes it a safe assumption.
Hm, you're right.
I guess that's how my mind works; King with capital K and an 8 nearby...

Check the cap for build-up restricting the flow.

Is your home very tight? Does cracking a window while reloading help?

I've not seen this much reported at all, especially at below freezing temps and 20 ft of flue.
Very hard to get to cap,but I do agree it needs to be checked.I will try to crack a window.I have read previous posts that the "King"does have this issue.One post states "he never reloads unless it is coals only".Thanks for your response.

Binoculars? (For the cap)

Was the pipe disconnected from the stove when the chimney was cleaned?

IMO a chimney cleaning is not a full clean unless the cap is included. Unless it can be verified somehow it's 100% clean/clear. I've had a partially clogged cap before and it does affect draft.

Reactions: stoveliker and BKVP
When reloading my Ashford I open the bypass to bypass and go away. For minutes. Go pee. Let the cat out. Start the coffee maker. Get fresh fuel from the garage. Offer the cat a chance to come back in.

Then crack the loading door- just a smidge- to see if I get smoke roll out.

Depending on the morning, I have been known to go shave and then come back to check for rollout again.

When it gets to verging on the ridiculous, the thing I do is have some splits ready, open the loading door, and cover as much of the existing coal bed as quickly as possible to minimize rollout. In bypass for 20-30 minutes you have established a new airflow pattern in the firebox, but opening the loading door is going to disrupt that pattern. Covering the glowing coals with fresh splits ASAP will dramatically reduce ongoing smoke rollout while you finish filling the firebox and get on with your day.

A bit fussy on reloads perhaps, but being able to walk away for 12 hours is a good feeling.

Not sure this will be useful for you. I'm on a hillside and I use binoculars to look at the cap from the hill side. This allows me to look horizontally through the cap with binoculars. It is very clear if the cap is clogged because if not I can see thru the mesh to the sky on the other side.

Anyway, if the drone works, that's fine too.

I agree with the above that smoke rollout is a relatively common issue with the BKs. There are plenty of tricks and procedures to minimize the rollout because people have had this problem and have tried to fix it. It’s a trade off I can live with for the fantastic performance.

I didn’t read where you said how much chimney you have. The new kings “require” 15’ minimum of chimney. Less than 15’ can increase rollout problems.

He has 20 ft, and it was cold. Draft is unlikely to be a problem. (Edit: unless of course a blockage exists.)

Last edited:
I want to thank everyone for great responses, lot of good ideas. Strange that the 6 inch princesses do not have as much smoke reloading issues?I know I have to get to the cap.I have a very steep, min 20foot,metal roof with snow in spots right now.

Can you post pictures of your installation?

I want to thank everyone for great responses, lot of good ideas. Strange that the 6 inch princesses do not have as much smoke reloading issues?I know I have to get to the cap.I have a very steep, min 20foot,metal roof with snow in spots right now.
My 6” princess has significant rollout issues. This same chimney connected to a modern noncat (way less efficient) never let a whiff of smoke leak out. I theorize that its due to a small bypass opening that’s lower than the door opening. Maybe the non insulated firebox.

There are ways to minimize the rollout. People have been trying to minimize it for decades.

Ok. I'm surprised to read all this, as I don't have any issues with smoke roll out.

As bkvp often says, every install is different. My tall chimney may be helpful with this (and less helpful in other ways).