Smoke Shelf question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Yannantuono

Oct 31, 2013
CT
Hi all,

I'm new here, just had my chimney inspected/cleaned getting it ready for the winter. I just bought this house in July, house was built in 1959, though I believe work was done to this fireplace since then.

Anyways the guy who came out noticed (after cleaning the chimney of course) that my smoke shelf is "missing", probably corroded away from water/rust or something. Would need masonry work, cost about $500, but they are so busy it wouldn't be until next year. But he said this isn't safe to use, debris can get behind and cause a chimney fire.

After he left I took a look myself and I'm curious if this is true, it seems like a prefabricated smoke box and appears to be designed this way. It curves out like the shelf should but there is just an empty cavern, almost like an empty "V", there's no top to the area. From what I can see the corrosion at the top looks like from former dampers that were removed. I have some pictures, and can take more, also edited a diagram. Also saw this thread here: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/hollow-smoke-shelf.1778/ sounds the same.

Curious on what you all think, if its safe? Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• Cavern.jpg
    Cavern.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 939
  • Fireplace.jpg
    Fireplace.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 833
  • Inside top shelf.jpg
    Inside top shelf.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 917
  • fireplace_diagram.jpg
    fireplace_diagram.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 7,839
Could a metal plate be cut and rest in this area? Perhaps use furnace cement to seal the plate, or mortar perhaps even?

I'm no fireplace expert, but that's something that came to mind.

How about installing a wood stove and running a liner up to the top?

Do you want to burn much? Or just for ambiance?

pen

What you have is a Heatilator firebox and there should be a solid smoke shelf. I have never seen one that was open like that. They are extremely vulnerable to rusting out back there. It's a requirement in a masonry fireplace to have the shelf backfilled. There could be a heatilator out there without one but I have never seen it. I would spend $500 on a liner for a stove and start heating my house!

Liner and stove is the way I would go.

Could a metal plate be cut and rest in this area? Perhaps use furnace cement to seal the plate, or mortar perhaps even?

I was thinking along the same line... maybe fill the cavity with rock wool, and lay thin firebrick on top.

What you have is a Heatilator firebox and there should be a solid smoke shelf. I have never seen one that was open like that. They are extremely vulnerable to rusting out back there. It's a requirement in a masonry fireplace to have the shelf backfilled. There could be a heatilator out there without one but I have never seen it. I would spend $500 on a liner for a stove and start heating my house!

Yep. And the fact that the smoke shelf is already beat to death will make it soooo much easier to put a true heating appliance in there!

Thanks for all the responses. I had been thinking about about an insert so maybe I'll go that route. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being taken.

Insert isn't your only option, if you like the looks of your fireplace and it is big enough, a freestanding wood stove can be installed as well!

Good luck,

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.