Smoke smell from p61a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

greywolf46

Jan 31, 2015
Eastern PA - Lower Bucks
My P61a is running at room temp auto. After a shut down and restart I get a faint smell of smoke for several minutes. Can't tell where it is coming from. Checked door gasket with dollar bill test...seems ok. Any ideas on what else to check?

Yep, check all indoor venting connections starting at the stove. Do it on start up in the dark and inspect using a flashlight. The flashlight beam will pick it right up. Also what happens is when the room fan kicks on it sucks the fumes in and delivers it to the room through your distribution outlets on the stove, making it appear or seem that the stove itself is leaking.

Incidentally if you think your outdoor vent is not emitting any smoke at all because you can't see it, go out there in the dark and shine a flashlight beam on the outlet and learn otherwise !!

Yep, check all indoor venting connections starting at the stove. Do it on start up in the dark and inspect using a flashlight. The flashlight beam will pick it right up. Also what happens is when the room fan kicks on it sucks the fumes in and delivers it to the room through your distribution outlets on the stove, making it appear or seem that the stove itself is leaking.

Incidentally if you think your outdoor vent is not emitting any smoke at all because you can't see it, go out there in the dark and shine a flashlight beam on the outlet and learn otherwise !!

Thanks,, I will check the connections.. never thought about the flashlight trick