Smokeless coal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simmo6108

Nov 24, 2015
Northampton, Britain
Apologies if this is in the wrong thread, and it is a long one so bear with me.....

I will start with my setup; A 5kw multi-fuel (ACR Malvern) with a lined (single, flex) 12m chimney that runs up through the middle of the house. I generally burn 12-18 month old CSS silver birch/pine and 24-30 month old CSS eucalyptus. A newly split piece reads 20% or less in the middle.

As it is a small stove that takes fairly small splits (and we live in a smokeless zone) in an effort to keep the fire "in" overnight I gradually bank up at night with smokeless coal. This means there is often plenty of coal and heat in the stove and chimney come the AM to restart with.

Now to the meat of this post, I noticed a reduction in draw last week while burning. I thought this was odd, as I had it swept in April and have only really had 2 good months burning what I thought was wood that as in the right zone. So I called the sweep out, who done his thing and produced the largest amount of soot I have ever seen come out of my chimney (a builders bucket full).

Straight away he asked me if I burnt smokeless coal. Apparently even smokeless will clog your chimney much quicker than even wet wood. I am aware of the use of bituminous and house coal doing this but I had always been under the impression that smokeless was effectively unable to produce soot/clog chimneys.

It is worth noting that the material coming out the chimney was very fine dull dust (I reckon it would be 95% passing a 0.063mm sieve) and had no discernible odour. It reminded me of mineral filler. Also we have burned no more than 50kg of coal since September.

He has warned me about using smokeless coals in the future, which will put a kick in the boll*cks of my overnight burns if I follow his advice.

Has anyone else found this?

I would guess you are speaking about the difference between Lignite ( brown coal), Soft Bituminous (very dull black), Bituminous( harder some what shiny) and Anthracite ( looks like opaque black glass) types of coal.

Apparently our smokeless coal is manufactured using various ingredients. The blurb on the manufacturers website talks about having a high % renewable material;

From their website;
"4. How are you making your fuel greener?
We are constantly tweaking and testing our smokeless coal to ensure that it is the greenest and cleanest it can be. This includes the adding of renewable energy into the briquettes, without compromising on the performance of the coal. Through our laboratories we invest a great deal of time and money into ensuring that we lead the way for environmentally friendlier smokeless coal. We are producing products consisting of up to 50% renewable products – the most eco-friendly smokeless coal available in the world."

I may be mistaken, but I thought coal was the enemy of stainless liners. The acids in the coal react with the liner and will cause premature failure. Again - I am NOT well versed on coal, but this is something I have often heard repeated.

Smokeless coal sounds a bit like our bbq charcoal briquettes. You might want to see about an alternative fuel like highly-compressed sawdust logs made for stoves. Otherwise plan on more frequent cleanings and watch the liner for corrosion.
https://www.coals2u.co.uk/homefire-torrefiel-heat-logs

Not sure if its the same as BBQ briquettes but it appears that they are made of ground anthracite, "other" and bound together with molasses.

The received wisdom is that sweeping is not needed more than once a year when using smokeless coal, but my experience is now very different. At least 3 times a season given the amount that came out. While what came out would appear to be "fly-ash" and unlikely to combust it would allow the collection of any creosote (no matter how slight).

Thought there might b a bit more knowledge out there to tap into.

Over here the 904 grade stainless liners are recommended for use with coal and guaranteed for 30 years. Cheaper 316 grade liners are 20 year guaranteed and recommended best suited to just/mainly wood. It's bad practice to mix wood and coal though, the water in the wood mixed with the sulphur from the coal gives sulphuric acid and can destroy a liner in no time, so I suggest Simmo that you either stop with wood, or with coal.

Things that may help with the Ash/soot build up, try a different make of coal, try burning hotter (maybe first thing in the morning) to drive deposits out the flue before they accumulate, and, insulate the liner (vermiculite probably easiest, definitely cheapest).

However I am not sure you'll cure your problem. Best of luck

Could it be the coal soot in combination with wood burning, the creosote and coal soot/dust. I have read of problems with buildup in older homes that combined fireplace and furnace flues, as some of those older chimneys were built the two flues merged into one. If the fireplace was used often enough the creosote from wood burning would combine with the fine oil soot and create a larger mess than you would normally get with two separate flues. Maybe a similar thing is happening with the two separate fuels being used, though in the old days alternating wood and coal was done very often in pot belly stoves.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I should have said that I tended to put the coal onto a bed of wood once well into the burn cycle (close to coaling stage) so little chance of moisture from the wood and generally at the cruise temps so no issue there.

As the chimney goes through the middle of the house I was advised by the installer (HETAS) that I did not need to insulate, however I am now convinced that this might need to become a 2017 project.

Hi There,
Really impressed with my Brosley Evolution 5 multi fuel burner. Fitted by HETAS Registered fitter with a flue pipe and straight up down chimney with cowl. I'm a tree surgeon so all the wood I burn is hardwood, air dried, 14+ month's seasoned and less than 14% moisture. Burns amazing if not a bit fast with the anti slumber burn screw in for smokeless.

However when I add smokeless coal, homefire Ecoal 50, I get little flame and a flue thermometer reading of 150 degrees C maximum. I only burn the coal OR wood not both together. Wood burns amazing but coal stays in overnight .

Any pointers please? The coal is correctly sourced and is dry. Just wanting better performance from coal. Oh and yes I'm moving the lever to C for coal and combustion air is on full.

Regards Richard Thewlis