Smoking with the cook stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaac Carlson

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2012
NW Wisconsin
I have been smoking meat the last week, but not outside. I have been using the cook stove. I pull out the right lid and put a box over it with the meat suspended inside. I have a thermometer stuck in the side and I regulate the heat by the size of the fire and the draft control. It works great! I have a slab of salmon in there now and it looks and smells great. There is no smell in the house because the chimney puts negative pressure on the box, pulling fresh air in through the cracks, thinning the smoke. I want to make a metal box so I don't have to baby sit the smoker. Maybe make it a bit taller and put some dampers in it so I can smoke meat on a full fire without overheating the smoker. Don't razz me for the cardboard. The stove is almost cold and I am right here next to it the whole time.

Attachments

• salmon.JPG
    salmon.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 153
I'd be careful about that cardboard...

Status
Not open for further replies.