Smoky smell from pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Crys

Jun 22, 2020
Canada
Hey guys, hoping this is the right place to post. I own a quadrafire pellet stove which I haven't been using now for about a month due to the warmer weather here. Anyway, I come home today and I started to get a really smoky smell from the pellet stove, when it hadn't been burning? Does anyone know what this might be?

Could be negative pressure pulling air through the stove. Is this in the basement or lowest part of the house? Is there a whole attic fan running?

Have you give the stove its summer thorough cleaning?

Downdraft from the chimney?
I take it there is no OAK?

Hey, thanks for the reply. The pellet stove is on the main level, there is a basement below. We have an attic but there isn't a fan running.

Hey, I hadn't yet as there were a few nights with a frost advisory but it didn't click on the stove. After I smelled it I vacuumed out the inside of the stove and the ash pan. It seems to have dissipated today. Just seems so strange as I've had this stove for 4 years now and this is the first time I've ever smelled that in the off season.

No oak. I'm assuming the downdraft may be the case?? It just seems odd as it is the first time I've ever smelled that and I've had the stove for 4 years. Would that mean there could be a leak in my gasket?

Do you have a high powered kitchen fan? Or were multiple exhaust appliances running at the time (dryer, bath and kitchen fans)?

No other exhaust fans were running at the time. Apparently the person at a local shop said there is probably some creosote build up in the flu and with the humidity we've been having (we're in the middle of a heat wave) it could be sweating? Does this sound right? I cleaned the flu in mid January. And we've had summers like this before and I've never smelled it before.