So far, my Charter VOIP Phone sucks...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
A while back, I got a lot of advice here (mostly good experiences) about changing from Verizon to VOIP...I ended up using Charter, since they are my cable provider and actually use a different "channel" for the phone service...unlike other services which use the same as your internet.

So far it has been a nightmare. The phone loses dial tone, I lose internet, come conversations cut off in the middle, etc.

Their service has also been terrible. They actually missed appointments 3 days in a row! And they didn't even know it - each time they apparently entered it wrong or lost it!

Even the original installer (a contractor of charter) seemed to say that folks who could not put up with a lot of initial bugs and troubleshooting might not be happy with it. Apparently, it sometimes takes a while to get it right.

Certainly it may eventually work - but my patience is wearing thin. Saving $30 a month just may not be worth my while in this case. Amazingly enough, we had a MAJOR medical emergency here (a guest) after the new phone line was installed...and luckily the 911 call worked that time...but what if I would have picked up the phone and had no dial tone? It would have taken me a long time to get my cell, and figure out what to do on it.

Anyway, that's the story for beginners.

We have Comcast and have had good luck with our service (so far) and I know we will have EXCELLENT service from now on - I'm on the town's cable contract committee, responsible for negotiating with the cable co's about thier franchise... I'm assured by other committee members that it does make a difference :coolgrin:

However I've had problems w/ Charter in the past - some of our LP members are run their domains through Charter, and get shut off by Comcast on a regular basis, apparently because Charter doesn't know how to stop the zombies on their network from sending out spam...

BTW, don't let anyone tell you that Charter has an exclusive franchise on your town - Federal Law prohibits exclusive franchises, anyone can come into town and offer service, as long as they offer the same license deal as the other provider(s) - The only thing stopping Verizon for instance, is Verizon's own internal operations...

Gooserider

I've had Vonage with no problems but Vonage itself has big problems. They lost a lawsuit over technology with Verizon and it looks like they will go out of business sooner or later. Maybe they'll get bought out , but things look grim at Vonage.

Sometimes big businesses work well for the little consumer and it's o.k. that they make money at it. I'm now happy with my cable/phone/internet provider. Particularly since they began carrying the TDF coverage this year. My phone is very good. (Cablevision)

It's a mixed bag though. A friend of mine has Vonage and it was awful at first. They offered him 6 months free to stay. He did and they did improve.
See if you can get a deal from your provider.

My brother has VOIP and it works perfectly. I'm not sure about the 911 service he hasn't had to use it. That's a bummer yours didn't work out. When it works it seems to be great savings.

I think they may get it right after 5 or 6 times coming out here and boosting the signal on the pole, etc.

But it sure would have been nice if they got it right from the start. What appeared to have happened is that multiple services suck more "energy" (signal, not bandwidth in this case) from the cable, so everything here worked fine until the phone was installed. That brought the level down to close to the breaking point...and then other factors (load, weather, etc.) made it drop out.

Basically, they should take lessons from the phone company on customer service.....the old Bells sure learned how to do that over the years.

I use packet 8 after the initial glitches it has been very soild A few $$ cheaper than Vondgage

Voice quality very close to a land line quality Unlimited USA and Canada for $21 per month which saved me about $45
from the Verizon land line

Everbody here know I can get a it demanding to get things right. Been with Packet 8 almost 3 years. I would have pulled there plug .
if I thought t there was better service or not happy with the service I was receiving and yes they do have enhanced 911

Status
Not open for further replies.