So I need a splitter...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
View attachment 201161 View attachment 201162 Building a version of the Powersplit cost about the same as building a conventional splitter. The activation of the log lift can cost from $25,for a simple cable operated lift, to $150 for a hydraulically operated lift.
The advantage of the Powersplit design is the ergonomics ,all operations are on the same side of the machine and within easy reach. The wood stays on the table from start to finish. I have built 5 since retiring and have been asked to build more but my mind says you can do it the body says it ain't happening.

Any chance you have plans or a build sheet you would share with me?

Unfortunately no set plans. Each splitter varied slightly depending on components I could acquire at a good price or type of steel that became available.
I would start with a 4 foot square base with a 3 1/2 foot tongue. The table top was 24 x 66" which left a 24 x 48" area for engine, hydraulic tank and battery if it had a electric start engine. The beam was designed so the cylinder is retractable for travel. The cylinders were standard ones converted to front mount.

Attachments

• Beefie splitter 004.jpg
    Beefie splitter 004.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 169
  • splitter2013 291.jpg
    splitter2013 291.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 165
  • splitter#1-s.jpg
    splitter#1-s.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 157
  • cat cylinder rebuild 005 (Medium).jpg
    cat cylinder rebuild 005 (Medium).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: Jazzberry
Unfortunately no set plans. Each splitter varied slightly depending on components I could acquire at a good price or type of steel that became available.
I would start with a 4 foot square base with a 3 1/2 foot tongue. The table top was 24 x 66" which left a 24 x 48" area for engine, hydraulic tank and battery if it had a electric start engine. The beam was designed so the cylinder is retractable for travel. The cylinders were standard ones converted to front mount.

Thanks a bunch. do you have specs on the vertical beam? Or some more build pictures, I have a pretty good idea of what I think I should do but that dosent mean it will work. Also where did you find the "long" wedge? The retractable cylnder is a great idea

Triptester - I have always wondered what support design you used under the table platform.
And the design and action of your cylinder pivot. I think these are neat designs.

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
Here are a few more pics.
The cylinder does not pivot, it slides up the beam where it pins in place when in use and retract to the table for travel or storage. I put a receiver tube for a hitch between the frame and beam support. On this splitter there is a 18" square piece of 1 1/4" plate under the 1/4" diamond plate table top.
These pics from various splitters trying different materials.

Attachments

• Beefie splitter 010.jpg
    Beefie splitter 010.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 148
  • Beefie splitter 014.jpg
    Beefie splitter 014.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 148
  • splitter travel position.jpg
    splitter travel position.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 155
  • projects 002.jpg
    projects 002.jpg