So I'm at a customer's house...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
IMG_1510.JPG
This is what's in the living room

;lol

Hey, at least the poor little baby isn't cold.

Now you have seen it all....

Nothing burns like a quad

You are one up on me for sure. lol

Wow - nothing like a flammable floor near a stove - that'll warm things up for sure!

Well, to each their own. Years ago where I grew up there was an old man that everyone made fun of. He let his cows in the house in the winter to save on money heating his house. His last name was Coleman, his nickname was cowshit Coleman.

When he died they found that he owned property in Hawaii, California, Arizona and many other places. He was a millionaire. Never got to enjoy his money, I imagine he was just happy knowing he wasn't dead broke. Many people like him that lived through the great depression, just knowing you owe no one and have a roof over your head and a cupboard with food is enough.

Reactions: Wickets
Wow - nothing like a flammable floor near a stove - that'll warm things up for sure!

It looked to me like there was some sort of "hearth" and it seemed to be large enough for clearances. Maybe I'm wrong and there is just a couple of rocks. I would worry more about the hay myself.

To a farmer, that is normal practice and shows not only a good soul, but good money management. It is near always a coffee shop headline once a person that puts a calf or lamb or.... in the house to keep it alive, passes away, they leave millions to either someone or some charity.

I'd bet some good money that more houses burn down from candles left unattended or portable heaters than from something like what's in the picture.

Thanks for posting. Kinda takes me down memory lane a bit.

I'd bet some good money that more houses burn down from candles left unattended or portable heaters than from something like what's in the picture.

I'm sure that's true. On the other hand pretty much everyone I know has candles.

Not questioning his/her heart but keeping that straw and the animal 5-6' back seems like the smart move.

Many, many more from improper disposal of smoking materials....

Interesting graphic especially given that the amount of people quitting smoking has increased and yet the death toll went up regardless....Maybe a fire that claimed a lot of lives in one location? Anecdotal for sure, but here in NJ most news worthy fires start from candles / heating especially this time of year

Reactions: FirepotPete
Having stayed with fire fighting at least seasonally, I keep a watch on fires and their sources and it seems that good share of the smoking related fires seem to be at apartment buildings putting even more out than a single family home :( Fumes me to see people advertising to pay to have butts hauled from low tax area to keep their stash of coffin nails up.
My rant for the day

My bad. Thought for sure it was a Castile. What was purpose of you visit. Just curious. Convection blower clogged?

I've seen a couple places with the living room sectioned off for chickens. Another with 4 dogs on chains in the house. But this one takes the cake.

My dad told me about visiting the house of one of the local firemen. He said the fireman would just stand next to his woodstove pipe, just talking all nonchalant, with a bottle of water putting out chimney fires that would keep starting. Something along those lines anyway. I guess like they say, the mechanic's car is always broke, the plumber's sink always drips, etc.

I'm bit of a clean freak. Only animal that will ever be in my house is a dog. Nothing that shits on the floor.
Better scratch a dog then. My new pup left me a Havana. Not bad considering she's 80 pounds

Reactions: bogieb
Interesting graphic especially given that the amount of people quitting smoking
has increased and yet the death toll went up regardless

Some of the smoking materials may be of the variety
that does not fall under the tracked OTC types........
;)

Dan

Reactions: Wickets
Poor thing is going to go blind staring into the flame like that.

Reactions: bogieb and Wickets
Some of the imported breeds are high buck. Scottish Highland?

I have to argue with who gets the best spot, between me and the two springers.

Reactions: bogieb