So I'm out giving tree removal estimates yesterday and......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

after spending all morning splitting some of my wood hoard in the backyard, I go and get done doing those quotes, on the way home I end up with a free truckload of pin oak.......some pretty big stuff, too!

Here's the trees we'll be cutting down in the coming weeks....won't start for a couple weeks though. Not til the trim is all done in the living room!!;em

first tree is a 70' chestnut oak (we call 'em rock oaks around here), lots of good wood in that one...
Second tree is a 45' blue spruce.....
Third pic is two spruces in a tight backyard, both trees around 35'. I'll climb both of them to the top and piece 'em down.
third tree is a big silver maple.....it's hollow at the base, lots of long gangly branches. Good news is I got all four jobs......

2013-06-22_10-19-02_339.jpg 2013-06-22_12-11-28_689.jpg 2013-06-22_12-24-41_548.jpg WP95001751.jpg

Pin oak that I scrounged on the way home...

2013-06-22_13-17-13_736.jpg

Splittin some of my stack, and all of that pin oak, in the backyard. I'll start stacking this stuff tomorrow evening....

2013-06-22_09-11-38_215.jpg 2013-06-22_09-11-10_231.jpg 2013-06-22_15-13-47_207.jpg

That Chestnut oak doesn't look so great I guess that is why it is coming down?

Reactions: ScotO
That Chestnut oak doesn't look so great I guess that is why it is coming down?
Yeah, it's half dead. The bad part is the dead half has to be pieced down, it's hanging over the neighbor's service lines from the pole.....

Homeowner is renting a lift, I'm doing all the work.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Yeah, it's half dead. The bad part is the dead half has to be pieced down, it's hanging over the neighbor's service lines from the pole....

Out here, PG&E will come out and take down the service connection while the tree work is done, no charge. I guess it's cheaper than repairing the damage after the fact.

Splittin some of my stack, and all of that pin oak, in the backyard. I'll start stacking this stuff tomorrow evening....
An example of hoarding we can all be inspired by, for sure, Scotty! :cool:
I just realized the flaw with the Scottzhausen, however; That ring of rounds has them all sitting on end, soaking up water! :eek: We can't have that. ;sick;)

Out here, PG&E will come out and take down the service connection while the tree work is done, no charge. I guess it's cheaper than repairing the damage after the fact.
Why would they care? Wouldn't the at-fault party foot the bill?

Drink lots of water (liquids :) )
I hear the temps are to be in the 90s.

Have fun with the tree jobs, looks like fun .

after spending all morning splitting some of my wood hoard in the backyard, I go and get done doing those quotes, on the way home I end up with a free truckload of pin oak.......some pretty big stuff, too!

Here's the trees we'll be cutting down in the coming weeks....won't start for a couple weeks though. Not til the trim is all done in the living room!!;em

first tree is a 70' chestnut oak (we call 'em rock oaks around here), lots of good wood in that one...
Second tree is a 45' blue spruce.....
Third pic is two spruces in a tight backyard, both trees around 35'. I'll climb both of them to the top and piece 'em down.
third tree is a big silver maple.....it's hollow at the base, lots of long gangly branches. Good news is I got all four jobs......

View attachment 105058 View attachment 105059 View attachment 105061 View attachment 105066

Pin oak that I scrounged on the way home...

View attachment 105060

View attachment 105063 View attachment 105062 View attachment 105065
Where are you putting all the wood, you Woodmizer!

Where are you putting all the wood, you Woodmizer!
I've got room enough for around 30 cord here at the house.....
I'll probably start stacking some on the right-of-way next to my property, it's basically my property as I take care of it......if anyone touches that wood, they'll get their azz kicked.....:mad:

I just realized the flaw with the Scottzhausen, however; That ring of rounds has them all sitting on end, soaking up water! :eek: We can't have that. ;sick;)
Woody, I'll be splitting that stuff next week......

That's all red maple that is standing on end, and it won't be burned for 2 to 3 years....plenty of time to season, even if it gets waterlogged.....

Good eye, by the way! I was wondering when someone would scold me for that!!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
So Scotty... you are trading the tree work for the free wood? :p

We need to talk! >>

Nice Scott. I remember some days like that when I was a bit younger so I know what you are up against. Doesn't look hard but in this stupid humid heat, well, I'm glad I've retired.

I turned the air conditioner on about an hour ago. We're above 90 with a high dew point. I'll stay indoors the rest of the day.

Scotty, where do you get the energy? I get tired just reading of your exploits, dude! Makes me wish I was twenty years younger.

Keep settin' the example for the young guns.

Reactions: ScotO and save$
i've dealt with one chestnut oak, it was about 35" at the base, and it was like trying to split rock... maybe that's why they call them rock oak in your area?

Scotty, where do you get the energy? I get tired just reading of your exploits, dude! Makes me wish I was twenty years younger.

x2

Scott, I didn't see anyone mention it but will you split and stack the two spruce trees also?

Thanks for the compliments, guys! I'm 40, but after I loosen up my bones in the morning, I feel like I'm 25 again........that is, until I lay down at night....and all those pains come back to haunt me!
I was raised to work hard for what you have, and to help others when they are in need.....I do the best that I can at both...

Scott, I didn't see anyone mention it but will you split and stack the two spruce trees also?
Pauly, I'm hoping that the lower trunks of them are clean.....as I will probably mill some boards for my woodshed project out of the logs. I won't get much, but I'll get some planks out of them.

As for the tops, yes I will be keeping them. I'll C/S/S them and store them at my FIL's place and use them for shoulder season wood and for campfire wood, and also for my maple syrup evaporator in the early spring.

Drink lots of water (liquids :) )
I hear the temps are to be in the 90s.

Have fun with the tree jobs, looks like fun .
And I'm hoping your burning a lot...keep the pit going

Careful out there my friend.

Good score and good job gettin' work!

Thanks for the compliments, guys! I'm 40, but after I loosen up my bones in the morning, I feel like I'm 25 again........that is, until I lay down at night....and all those pains come back to haunt me!
I was raised to work hard for what you have, and to help others when they are in need.....I do the best that I can at both...

I'll guarantee it won't get any easier from this point on.

Reactions: PapaDave and ScotO
Good news is I got all four jobs......
Congrats on getting the jobs.

But if you got all four on the spot I'd say it's time to start raising your prices. Just imagine if you increased your bids by 25% - 30% but only got three of jobs you'd be making about the same money but only doing 75% of the work.

I've made myself start quoting jobs higher. Whenever I come up with the number in my head I make myself add 30-50%. End result I'm just as busy but making mo money. I'm going to keep raising my prices until people start to turn me down 1/3 of the time or so.

Reactions: gmule and ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.